Chapter 89 - Polaroid

LIZZIE'S POV

It's past midnight, and here i am, just sitting and waiting for her.
I'm sipping on a glass of wine, or maybe it's two, or perhaps even three.
Honestly, i've lost count.
But as time goes by, my frustration keeps growing.
She hasn't responded to any of my texts or calls, and she's still not here.
How can i not think the worst?
I know how much Hailee would love to steal her away from me.
And maybe she succeeded, and i've fallen back into my old habits.
Am i waiting for the person i love, while she's with someone else?
Maybe i'm just too drunk to think straight right now.

As i'm about to pour myself another glass of wine, I hear the front door open.
I catch a whiff of a perfume, instantly recognizing her.
I hear her footsteps approaching and then stopping behind me, perhaps surprised to find me still awake.
"Liz... what are you doing here? It's late" she asks, still standing there.
I take a sip from my glass and swallow, trying to compose myself.
"You promised we would spend the evening cuddling at home, remember? I was waiting for you" i reply without turning around.
She sighs, i can sense her frustration as she runs her hand through her hair.
"I'm sorry, you're right. We lost track of time and ended up being late. We stopped to eat something.
I should have warned you. I'm sorry" she says, her words making me even more nervous than before.
I finally turn to face her, looking straight into her eyes.
"With Cassie?" i ask, pretending not to know anything else.
She smiles nervously
"Well, of course. Who else would it be?" she replies
Once again, she lies to me, and burns every opportunity for her to tell me the truth.
"I've texted and called you many times" i tell her, noticing her tense demeanor.
"Oh, sorry, but my phone was dead" she looks down
I can't believe it, i feel like i'm hearing the same bullshit Robbie was telling me after spending all night fucking with someone else.
I grab the bottle of wine and take a swig straight from it, leaving her looking confused.
"Liz, are you okay? What... why are you drinking?" she asks, clearly puzzled.
"So, tell me, have you found the dresses for the wedding?" i interrupt her, sensing her nervousness as she fidgets with her fingers.
I know she's feeling the pressure now.
"Oh uhm yeah, you should have seen Cassie's one, it's absolutely stunning" she smiles again, but i could tell she was nervous and avoiding eye contact.
"What about yours?" i asked, taking a sip of my drink.
"What do you mean?" she tilted her head, looking confused.
"Where is yours? You don't have it with you" i specified, noticing her nervous neck rubbing.
"Oh, uhm, we went to the apartment and i left it there. Cassie will take care of it" she said, trying to brush it off.
Why does she keep lying to me?
Why won't she just admit that she spent the whole fucking day with Hailee?

Maybe it's better if i leave before i react impulsively and say things i might regret.
"I'm going to sleep" i stated, placing my glass down and heading upstairs.
"Liz?" she calls me from behind.
"Mmm, what's up?" i asked without turning, feeling exhausted
"Are you okay?" she asked, concern in her voice.
"Yes, i'm just tired. Goodnight y/n" i replied, retreating to the bedroom and leaving her alone downstairs.
I wanted to cry and scream at the same time.
What if... what if something happened between the two of them?

I snuggle into the cozy sheets, burying my face in them and wiping away the stubborn tears that trickle down my cheeks.
Suddenly, a glimmer of light pierces through the darkness of the room, accompanied by the sound of the door closing and her footsteps.
I pretend to be asleep as she lies down beside me.
I hear her sigh and pat the covers.
In this moment i can't help but wonder if she lied to me about my birthday just to be with her.
It's a nagging thought, but at the same time i lack the courage to confront her and find out the truth.
I'm just wondering, why?
"Can i hug you?" she whispers, her voice filled with the vulnerability of a wounded child.
I don't respond, still pretending to be lost in sleep.
"Babe, i know you're awake. Are you angry with me?" she asks, her tone tinged with concern.
"No" i reply dryly, perhaps a bit too dryly.
"I told you i'm tired" i state
"Oh, okay. fine" she sighs in defeat.
I feel her arms wrap around my hips, pulling her body closer to mine.
She leaves gentle kisses on my back.
"I love you little bear, so much" she whispers before turning away.
Unable to contain my emotions any longer, i burst into tears, silently grappling with the confusion and uncertainty of this whole situation.