Chapter 58 - Midnight rain

LIZZIE'S POV

"Are you okay?"
"Mmm? Oh yeah, i was just thinking about how much i miss coming here with my motorbike, you know the landscape, the air in my hair, the sun caressing my skin, i miss it" she says looking out the window while i stroke her leg.
"I wouldn't have let you use it anyway" i reply, she turns to look at me
"What?"
"Well babe after what happened it's too early to drive, you still need to heal" i point out, but out of the corner of my eye i see her crossing her arms and pouting.
"You're boring" she says making me smile
"No honey, i'm only worried about you so don't drive until i say so okay?" i turn my gaze towards her for a moment and then look back at the road in front of me
"Yes ma'am" she snorts
"Good girl"

—————————————

"Hi ladies" Charles waves to us waiting for us outside the house
"Charles!" y/n immediately goes to hug him
"I missed you so much"
"You too darling" he says
"Hi Charles, good to see you again" i smile at him and he smiles back
"Me too, it's nice to see you together, but i can't see the engagement ring.
I thought you guys came back here married" me and y/n blush with embarrassment and he bursts out laughing.
"Oh oh too much right?" he says ironically
"Yes Charles, too much" answers Y/n still embarassed
"Then i guess i'll have to wait for the invitation to your weddin-"
"Charles!" she screams now red as a pepper but he bursts out laughing and so do i.
Who knows, maybe one day we'll actually give him our wedding invitatio-okay you're dreaming too much Lizzie, one step at a time.
"Come on Mary can't wait to see you"

We follow Charles who leads us to a house very similar to that of y/n, but made entirely of wood.
"You'll see you'll love Mary and her cakes of course" says y/n but then i feel her hand intertwining mine, i look down to understand if it's a dream and instead it's all true.
When i look up i see her smiling at me.
"Don't ask questions, let's just let go of the moment, that's our day" she whispers to me kissing my hand.
I look back down so as not to show the idiot smile that has just appeared on my face.

"Mary i'm here, the girls have come to visit us" says Charles as he walk in home and hanging up his coat.
Shortly after, an elderly lady appears from the small kitchen, short and with gray hair gathered in a disheveled bon.
When she sees y/n her eyes light up with happiness
"Oh y/n, my girl, come here and hug me" she says waiting for her with open arms and y/n immediately goes towards her.
"I've missed you so much and look how you've grown, you've become a beautiful woman" Mary compliments her and y/n is visibly embarrassed
"Thank you Mary, i missed you so much too"
"You're just like your mother" the woman says lovingly and caressing her cheek
"I feel her own kindness right here in your heart" she adds, touching her chest with a finger.
Y/n's mom must be an amazing woman and extremely kind and that would explain her daughter's inner beauty.
The lady then looks at me and smiles at me.
"Oh and you must be her girlfrie-i mean friend, Lizzie right?" she asks me, y/n turns to Charles with a menacing look and he throws his hands up in defense.
"Yes, it's me, i couldn't wait to meet you" i tell her reach out my hand to greet her but she instead gives me a strong hug.
"Thank you for not letting that light in her heart go out" she whispers in my ear referring to y/n and i smile inside.
"You're so beautiful" she compliments me
"Thank you"
"Fine, now follow me, i made my cakes and i just baked them"

We sit down at the table and Mary brings us different kinds of cake and they seem one more delicious than the other.
Mary is a wonderful person, we talk about gardening and cooking while Charles is an active man and always ready for a joke.
We talk, laugh and time seems to have stopped in this wooden house where this wonderful couple still loves each other.
They are the example of true love.
I would like to be like them, grow old alongside the person i love, the one sitting next to me and holding my hand under the table.