Chapter 57 - Young at heart

LIZZIE'S POV

The embrace of the sea, the caress of the sunset, her hands that don't let me go.
This is how i would draw love.
This is what i've always wanted from life, i just didn't know it, or at least, until i met her.
And now i look at her as the most precious thing in this world, as my source of life, of happiness.
She doesn't know it but my heart screams her name every day, every night, i just wants to be close to her, i just want her.
I understood that love is not a need, love because i need the other.
It's wrong, toxic and immature and maybe for a while it was like this with me, i needed to distract myself from a relationship that didn't even exist anymore and in her i found the need i was looking for.
But now i understand that i need her because i love her and that's different.

"Why are you looking at me?" she asks me
"Oh nothing, i just love looking at beautiful things.
Like this sunset, like this sea, like you" i admit looking into her eyes and she blushes and that reddish color on her cheeks only makes her even prettier.
The colors of the sunset set in her eyes, the sun's rays outline her face doing even more justice to her beauty.
I didn't think that at my age i could fall in love again and instead here i am, having lost my mind for this beautiful girl.

"You know what? This sunset makes me nostalgic even for things i don't remember having experienced, and it's strange, it's as if my heart felt emotions already experienced while the brain is a complete black-out and that's sucks" she says
"Are they beautiful emotions at least?"
"The most beautiful i've ever felt" she admits smiling at me, i leave a kiss on her head and hug her from behind while we watch the sunset on the beach.
I took her to exactly the same place where she had taken me some time ago, we drank Ben's hot chocolates and then, not having her motorbike, we leaned against my car to treat ourselves to this wonderful landscape.

"I want to do something" she says leaning on my shoulder to take off her shoes while i look at her confused trying to figure out what she wants to do.
I see her walking towards the beach without crutches.
"Babe the crutches!" i yell chasing her
"Look Liz i don't need them!" she says happy as a child and i smile to see her like this
"You'll get hurt i don't want-"
"Please Liz stop being pessimistic, look i'm doing great, come on here!" she says approaching the shore limping.
I shake my head and giggle at seeing her so clumsy but god how happy that she makes me.
I reach her and stand next to her.
"Take off your shoes, it's wonderful to feel the sea water caressing you" she invites me to do so
"But it's cold" i point out
"It's okay, trust me" I do as she tells me,
i take off my shoes and my feet touch the cold sand.
The water caresses my skin, first making me shiver from the cold but then i get used to it and i must admit, it's a wonderful feeling.
"See? It's beautiful" she approaches me, wrapping her arms around mine and resting her head on my shoulder and my heart leaps with happiness.
Everything is just so perfect, i couldn't ask for anything better.
"I would stay like this forever" i declare
"Well i wouldn't mind having a chair" she jokes and i slap her shoulder
"Ouch this is not how you should treat patients Olsen, i should call another nurse" i turn to glare at her
"And let's hear who would you call?"
"Well Hailee wouldn't be bad, i could ask her next time to wash-"
"I swear to god if you finish that sentence i'll let you fall on the ground" i threaten her but in response she bursts out laughing
"You hate her so much huh?" she teases me
"It's not that i hate her-it's just-well i-"
"You're jealous" she says finishing my sentence
"What? Me? Pfff that's not true" i turn my head to avoid her gaze, i'm sure i'm red as a pepper right now
"I see you anyway Elizabeth, i know you're embarrassed" she says in her amused tone
"Well okay maybe a little bit" i turn to her and she smirks
"Stop watching me like that" i add blushing
"You're cute you know? My jealous little bear" she kisses my shoulder and i smile like an idiot.
"But don't worry, no one could replace you" she adds