Chapter 19: Shadows of Power

[Previously]

Izuku's eyes glowed green. He gently held the spirit's hand. "Don't worry, I'll save the kingdom."

'With my most powerful shadows guarding FOWL, I'll need to go to the palace and gain admission to the Dark Prison to acquire more.' Shadow tendrils enveloped him as he sank into his own shadow and emerged in the Palace.

[Spirit Realm Arc] Shadows of Power

The war had subsided, and the opposing forces had retreated from the area, having accomplished their mission: the eradication of Ashborn.

Izuku aimlessly wandered through the desolate landscapes, witnessing the ethereal remnants of fallen spirits, their bodies bearing the marks of missing limbs or the signs of death. Whenever a spirit was slain, its corporeal form disintegrated into a shower of sparkling dust, its essence merging with the ethereal fabric of the Spirit Kingdom.

The Spirit Kingdom was but one of the many countries coexisting within this world. Alongside it stood the Dragon Kingdom, Demon Kingdom, Beast Kingdom, Ice Kingdom, Giant Kingdom, and Insect Kingdom, all holding their respective dominions.

Although these kingdoms wielded comparable powers, they harbored an inherent disdain for equality. Izuku made his way towards Ashborn's palace, finding its doors already ajar, beckoning him inside.

The guardians he encountered wore expressions of discontent, anger, and bewilderment. Their attention shifted toward the Shadow Monarch as they noticed Izuku's presence.

"Izuku!?" Hayami exclaimed, floating over to the young boy.

"Who is responsible for this?" Izuku inquired, his gaze cold and devoid of life.

'I had feared this would come to pass. This was never the path I desired for you, Izuku,' Hayami pondered, her countenance marked by guilt and sorrow.

"The Dragon, Giant, and Insect Kingdoms orchestrated this outcome. They believed we were concealing the Shadow Monarch with nefarious intent. Thus, when the Kingdoms convened their routine meeting, they declared war against us. Father harbored doubts about their allegations but was aware of their impending assault, issuing explicit instructions to us," Hayami elucidated, and Izuku nodded in understanding.

"During the battle, he was gravely weakened and ultimately slain by Alcyoneus, the King of Giants," Izuku sensed Koyami's seething rage emanating from her scowl as her gaze shifted from the group to her ravaged homeland.

"Our father's final orders were for you, Izuku, to ascend as the new king and to inherit the Black Heart, the epitome of his power," Sasami revealed.

Izuku's expression contorted with shock, a trickle of sweat meandering down his face. "I cannot bear the weight of leading these people. You all know I am ill-suited for such a role."

"It was his dying wish!" Koyami's voice erupted, turning to face the group, tears streaming heavily down her cheeks. "Regardless of your reservations, his last request was for you to assume the throne and possess the Black Heart. You must honor it."

Gazing into Koyami's eyes, Izuku discerned an unspoken warning that failure to comply might result in dire consequences. "Lead me to the Black Heart."

-Kayama Residence-

"Don't worry, Inko; I know where he is." Nemuri attempted to reassure the women that Izuku was safe and secure. She couldn't just tell her about Izuku's full power since the lady would pass out. She informed her that he was going to stay at a friend's place.