Chapter 39: Rescue 101

[Previously]

"Yet your legs betray a cheerful dance of joy."

"They're simply at rest."

[Finding The Midoriyas] Rescue 101

"The subject of death is taboo. We feel, perhaps only subconsciously, that to be in contact with death in any way, even indirectly, somehow confronts us with the prospect of our own deaths, draws our own deaths closer, and makes them more real and thinkable." Raymond Moody

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

A hundred students who had successfully passed the initial test lingered in the anteroom, engaged in conversation. The majority of schools had formed alliances. Despite the tense air, the room held its collective breath.

"May I have your attention, everyone, directed towards the screens?" the commission speaker's voice resonated over the intercom.

Mina glanced at the screens. "Are they showing the arena?" Sero muttered beside her. "What's going on?"

Out of nowhere, thunderous explosions shattered the tranquility. The sound reverberated both outside the anteroom and through the speakers, sending shockwaves that rippled through the floor and ignited panic among the students. The digital displays showcased buildings disintegrating, collapsing, and sliding apart. Dust swirled, engulfing the arena.

"They're demolishing it?!" Itsuka whispered, disbelief tinging her words.

The announcer's voice pierced the chaos. "The arena has been declared an emergency disaster zone. The forthcoming assessment will serve as the final test. It is set to commence in ten minutes. Utilize this time for personal necessities."

The intercom fell silent, leaving the students with a torrent of questions.

"I can't fathom how they could just dismantle the arena like that," Sero remarked.

"Well, they're in the hero business. The government showers them with resources. They're so entrenched that they can dismantle their own facility just for the heck of it," Izuku commented.

Mina exchanged a glance with her boyfriend. Even as the screen turned black, his gaze remained fixed upon it. "You've figured something out, haven't you?" she asked.

He steepled his fingers beneath his chin, drawing a small crowd around him, including a portion of their class.

"I believe this is a rescue operation," he concluded finally, turning to face Mina. "They've labeled it an emergency catastrophe zone. These ten minutes are probably meant to outline our objectives. Perhaps they'll use dummies or perhaps real individuals. In either case, we'll need to conduct rescues."

Mina's eyes widened. "And the more rescues we manage, the higher our chances of passing?"

"It can't be that straightforward, can it?" Sero interjected skeptically.

Itsuka shook her head. "I'm not certain. It's really just speculation. I might be completely off the mark."

He surveyed the rest of the class. Uraraka, Itsuka, Iida, and Izuku had all been observing, their expressions a mix of curiosity and bewilderment.

"What's on your minds?" he inquired.

"The ruined arena..." Iida's voice was hushed. "Did you all see it too?"

"Yeah," Itsuka nodded.

"It reminded me of Kamino Ward," Uraraka murmured.

Hitoshi's eyes widened.