Chapter 68: Monarch V. Ruler

[Previously]

She poised her blade. "I'll validate my worth to my father and the entire clan through this blade."

Izuku summoned a dagger through a rift. "Prepare yourself, youngster. You might consider joining the Kagekuni Express afterward."

[Zenin Clan Arc] Monarch V. Ruler

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." - Buddha

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

In the courtyard of the Zenin Compound, Izuku and Tazawa engaged in a tense confrontation, as the sound of their weapons echoed around them, while they cautiously circled one another. Izuku brandished a slim blade possessing a dangerously sharp edge, while Tazawa gripped a polished sword.

"Your little knife won't be enough to defeat me," Tazawa mocked, her lips smirking.

Izuku remained silent, admitting the validity of his opponent's case. He was in a less advantageous position, facing an excellent swordfighter with a small blade. His ability to move fast and with agility would be critical in avoiding her attacks.

The two combatants moved closer together, their swords gleaming in the sunlight. Izuku surged forward, hoping to catch Tazawa off guard, but she easily blocked his assault and knocked him off balance.

"You're too slow," she muttered as she approached him.

Izuku went slowly around her, keeping a safe distance and looking for an opening to strike. Tazawa used her advantage to attack with outstanding precision and expertise. Izuku tried to defend himself against her blows, but he rapidly became totally defensive, ducking and maneuvering to evade her unrelenting assaults.

"Impressive," he said, his back to the wall. "But how long can you keep it up?"

Tazawa launched another attack, her sword swiftly cutting through the air. Izuku dodged the assault by shifting laterally, narrowly avoiding its impact, and quickly retaliated with a crisp and precise strike with his dagger. Tazawa successfully deflected the attack, and the two fighters engaged in combat once more.

While clashing their weapons in a deadly harmony, both of them gradually comprehended that their battle was evenly balanced. 

Tazawa was a skilled swordsman, but Izuku's agility and speed, as well as the versatility of his dagger, topped Tazawa's abilities. He handled it with tenacity as if it were a part of himself.

They circled each other once again, each gasping and sweating from the fight's exertion. "You're good," Tazawa confessed, her voice hesitantly respectful. "But you won't win."

Although Izuku didn't respond, he realized that he must remain vigilant without any lapse of focus. Tazawa's level of danger and skill was beyond measure. A single error could result in his downfall.

The battle raged on, with their assaults and defenses becoming faster and more powerful with each passing instant. Izuku moved in and out with fluid ease, but Tazawa stood firm, her sword shining in the bright sunlight.

After what appeared to be an extended battle, they both staggered and lowered their weapons. Both of them were heavily panting and had sweat dripping down their faces.

"Impressive," Tazawa said again, her voice tinged with resentful appreciation. "But we're not quite done yet."

Izuku nodded, his eyes narrowing. He understood they were enemies and that the battle would go on until one of them won. But for now, they faced each other, neither willing to back down nor admit defeat.