Chapter 37: The Provisional License Exam

[Previously]

Hitoshi blinked in confusion, and Izuku couldn't help but glance at his transformed left arm.

'What on earth was that?' Both of them shared the same bewildering thought.

[Finding The Midoriyas] The Provisional License Exam

"Written laws are like spiders' webs, and will, like them, only entangle and hold the poor and weak, while the rich and powerful will easily break through them." - Anacharsis

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

"HOW THE HELL IS THIS POSSIBLE!?" Hitoshi yelled at his weary Father, though his grin still remained on his face.

"I had a feeling this would happen sooner or later, given that your quirk is unlike mine or your mother's. My speculation was that you'd either be able to emit a hypnosis aura or, as you can see, possess a hypnosis ocular ability," Shota calmly explained.

"But it doesn't make any sense. My quirk is supposed to be vocally used," Hitoshi said, trying to make sense of the whole ordeal.

Shota sighed. "In our world, approximately 80% of the population possesses meta-abilities known as Quirks. These quirks emerge early in life and grow with the individual. If they are not used, they retain their strength, but constant practice and training steadily increase the Quirk's power. One lesser-known fact about Quirks is that they can suddenly increase in strength in rare cases. This is known as a Quirk Awakening."

"Quirk Awakenings are a very rare phenomenon that cannot be attained through training alone. To awaken a Quirk, its user must be subjected to extreme stress, either physical or mental. Being in a life-or-death situation, facing danger to oneself or loved ones, or unlocking traumatic memories can be sufficient triggers for a Quirk awakening. Due to All Might's impact on Japan's crime rate, Quirk Awakenings were uncommon, even among the Pro Heroes."

"When a Quirk is awakened, the user usually gains access to new powers related to their Quirk or experiences a significant boost in their existing abilities. This boost poses no danger to the user and provides a burst of energy that allows them to explore their newly awakened powers and escape the situation that triggered their evolution."

Shota's explanation left Hitoshi taken aback. "So you're saying that seeing All Might in danger triggered a dormant part of my quirk?" Shota responded with a nod.

"T-Then could that mean I could get Mom's quirk?" Hitoshi asked, hopeful about gaining another new ability. Aizawa shook his head.

"Not possible; Quirk awakenings occur only once," Shota responded firmly, addressing Hitoshi's yearning. "But don't forget to talk to her when you see her at the licensed exams; it's been a while for you two." Shota finished his sentence by ruffling Hitoshi's hair and walking towards Izuku.

Shota spoke to Izuku in a low voice. "What was that, Kayama?"

Izuku shrugged. "I guess I figured out how to apply their spirit magic on a larger scale."

Shota nodded and internally sighed. The man had too many responsibilities for him to deal with. "Can you two try those abilities again?"

Izuku and Hitoshi nodded with determined looks on their faces. Shota called over an Ectoplasm clone and Cementoss to observe their abilities. Hitoshi focused his quirk, channeling it to his eyes instead of his vocal cords. His eyes opened, and the hypnotizer's eyes flashed violet, with an ornate flower-styled design.

Izuku's guardians appeared beside him, only to vanish in pixie dust that scattered across Izuku's body. A green circle of connected crosses appeared around Izuku's wrist, a green wing emerged from the left side of his back, and a green half-crown of connected crosses materialized on the left side of his head. The left side of his hair turned green, while the right side remained black.