Chapter 88: Tenacious

[Previously]

Ujiko wasn't paying attention. 'Should I inform Kakurete?' his young assistant, guarding Ashoka Shigaraki at the rear. No, he couldn't abandon his precious High-Ends. Mirko and the boy were already in close proximity. 'Dabi is right! We'll have to improvise on the spot!'

Furthermore, Hawks would ensure that they didn't succumb to the heroes, right?

[Meta Liberation Arc] Tenacious

"All things will be produced in superior quantity and quality, and with greater ease, when each man works at a single occupation, in accordance with his natural gifts, and at the right moment, without meddling with anything else." - Plato

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

Mina and Tokoyami sprinted across the train's roof, battling against the forceful wind.

"This situation feels peculiar, doesn't it?" Tokoyami remarked. "Previously, our encounters with villains were imposed upon us—the USJ, the forest camp... But now, we are actively taking the fight to them, alone."

"The heroes have started to place their trust in us," Mina responded after a brief pause. "They acknowledge the hardships we've endured. We mustn't squander that trust and respect by making any mistakes."

"You have truly grown, Ashido."

"I'm glad you think so," she mumbled. "I believe I can see the light at the end."

As expected, they skidded to a halt at the train's edge, with the tracks rapidly receding beneath them. A small balcony awaited them, offering an opportunity to descend, while a lamp illuminated the entrance to the rear car.

Tokoyami unleashed Dark Shadow, which grasped the train's edge and swung him down gracefully. The creature then gently carried Mina and placed her on the ground. Mina patted Dark Shadow on the head and stepped forward, attempting to open the door.

"Locked?" Tokoyami guessed.

"Obviously. But that won't pose a problem for me," Mina realized why Hawks had specifically assigned her to this mission. 'Maybe he's more astute than he appears.'

She extended her hand and dissolved the lock with her acid. The door glided open, revealing a dimly lit, expansive industrial space.

Mina and Tokoyami abruptly halted in their tracks. At the other end of the car, obstructing their path to the emergency brake and the door leading to the rest of the train, stood none other than the fiery villain, Sunfire.

She sported a wide grin, twirling her hand theatrically. "Ah, Yuuei students," she boomed. "It has been quite a while. Delighted to see you once again, Ashido-chan."

...

The blue glow was extremely bright in the next car. Hitoshi swallowed, preparing for battle. Mirko dashed forward and kicked the door in, sliding into the lab...

Blue fire burst out toward her in a narrow line, which she hopped over in an instant, planting herself atop one of the glowing Nomu tanks.

"Tsk," Dabi hissed. "I guess I should expect fast reflexes from the number five hero."

Mirko was grinning. "The fire prick! I missed the chance to kick your ass in Kyushu, AND you've got your precious Nomu here? This is the jackpot!"

Hitoshi noticed the flickering flames on the ground, behind Dabi, an old man in a lab coat. He was frantically typing on a computer, sweating. 'The Nomu creator?! We've GOT to take him out!'