Chapter 49: The Black Heart

[Previously]

Izuku's final moments unveiled a twisted serenity, a smile etched upon his lips. As his life was extinguished, a presence approached Kyo from behind, an arm encircling her form.

Kawata Masumi observed the grim tableau, a chilling smile curving her lips. "Impressive work, 42. Now, our focus shifts to preparing you for the upcoming auction."

[Project 42 Arc] The Black Heart

"When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

As Makino stood there, clutching her phone tightly in her trembling hands, her mind raced with a mix of emotions. Regret, anger, and fear entangled within her, threatening to consume her completely. She blamed herself for the argument that had driven Keiko away. She should have been more patient, more understanding.

-Flashback-

"Keiko, your name is Keiko Midoriya, and I'm Izuku Midoriya, your twin brother."

It started with a seemingly innocuous comment made by Makino, unintentionally triggering Keiko's insecurities. Keiko had stumbled upon some old photographs while rummaging through their family albums. In those pictures, she noticed the stark differences between her appearance and that of her parents. Curiosity got the better of her, and she began questioning her identity.

"Why don't I look like you or Dad?" Keiko asked, her voice laced with a mix of curiosity and sadness.

Makino, caught off guard by the question, stuttered for a moment, struggling to find the right words. She knew that the time would come when she needed to explain Keiko's adoption, but she had hoped to delay that conversation until Keiko was older. Nevertheless, faced with her daughter's genuine confusion, Makino decided it was time to reveal the truth.

"Keiko, you're adopted," Makino said gently, trying to maintain her composure.

Keiko's eyes widened in disbelief, and her voice cracked as she responded, "Adopted? How could you keep this from me? Why didn't you tell me before?"

The hurt and confusion in Keiko's voice struck Makino deeply. She wanted to explain, to make Keiko understand that her adoption was a testament to the love and desire that brought them together as a family. But at that moment, Makino's words failed her, and she stumbled upon her own insecurities.

"I... I thought it was best to wait until you were older," Makino said, her voice trembling. "I didn't want you to feel different or less loved."

The words hung in the air, thick with tension. Keiko's eyes welled up with tears, and a wave of anger washed over her.

"Is that what you think? That I'm different? That I'm not your real daughter?" Keiko's voice quivered with a mix of hurt and frustration.

"No, Keiko, that's not what I meant," Makino pleaded, her own tears threatening to spill. "You are my daughter, biological or not. I love you with all my heart."

But the damage had been done, and Keiko, consumed by a whirlwind of emotions, couldn't see beyond her own pain. The argument escalated quickly, with accusations and hurtful words exchanged between mother and daughter. In the heat of the moment, Keiko stormed out of the house, seeking solace in the night.

-Present Time-

But now, she had no time for self-pity. Her daughter was out there, alone in the darkness of the night, and it was her duty as a mother to bring her back.