Chapter 76: That Single Step

[Previously]

Mirio scoffed, his eyes drifting towards the Shimano children who were observing from a distance.

"Alright, kids, watch closely!" Izuku shouted, firmly planting his feet deep into the ground. "I'll show you what it truly means to be the strongest!" With a burst of energy, he propelled himself forward with incredible speed. "This is real strength!" he exclaimed.

[Nabu Island Arc] That Single Step

"The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him." - Niccolò Machiavelli

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

As Nine erected yet another series of formidable barriers, his anticipation grew as he observed the necromancer teen confidently approaching, undeterred by the obstacles obstructing his path. 

The young sorcerer's eyes gleamed with determination as he readied his left hand for a devastating point-blank attack. Deep inside, Nine acknowledged the imminent danger, a flicker of unease creeping through him.

In the sunlight, a glint danced off the necromancer's gleaming dagger, leading him to believe he had seized the perfect moment to strike. However, Nine's swift motion swung his right arm around, unleashing a relentless barrage of laser-like beams from his fingertips, each beam surging toward his adversary.

Realizing the peril that enveloped him, Izuku's face contorted with a mix of surprise and realization. With skillful agility, he deftly evaded each beam, narrowly escaping their destructive path. A brief wave of relief washed over him as he successfully avoided the lethal lasers, though a minor cut grazed his right cheek.

Nonetheless, his natural healing talents cured the superficial wound quickly. "Don't heal them so quickly; I don't want to waste energy."

"You should be more alert, brat. That attack you took on your back could have been extremely fatal." Koyami responded, chastising him.

In the midst of evasive maneuvers, Izuku inadvertently left himself vulnerable, a momentary lapse that Nine wasted no time exploiting. Readying himself once again, the formidable villain conjured a potent energy barrier, channeling an immense burst of wind within its confines. 

The unleashed force struck its target with unforgiving power, hurtling Izuku through the air like a ragdoll. His body collided with the unforgiving ground, causing a billowing cloud of dust to engulf him.

'Water Slicer!' Mayo's voice boomed, her adrenaline surging as she unleashed a furious barrage of crescent-shaped water blades. With lightning speed, she swung her left arm, sending the razor-sharp projectiles hurtling toward Nine. But he was no easy target. Reacting swiftly, he conjured multiple layers of energy barriers, expertly deflecting the lethal onslaught.

Undeterred, Mayo's determination flared. She refused to let her opponent gain the upper hand. Gathering her strength, she summoned the raw power of the elements. 

'Elephant Spears!' she roared, her dark brown hair whipping in the wind. A torrent of spear-like water projectiles erupted from her outstretched elephant trunk hands, shooting toward Nine with unrelenting force.

"Ergh..." she growled, her frustration palpable.

A sudden realization dawned upon her: 'He can wield more than one Quirk...' Internally acknowledging this fact, she swiftly adjusted her hands, transforming them into a pair of handguns that she swiftly grasped.

"Dammit...!" Izuku muttered under his breath as he gradually rose to his feet. He surveyed the scene before him, observing Mayo dashing around and unleashing a flurry of bullets from her improvised weapons. However, her attacks were effortlessly repelled by Nine's vibrant yellow energy barriers.