Chapter 45: The Blank Period III

[Previously]

Haru frowned, and as she and Keiko passed by the two of them, she abruptly pivoted, hands extending out like a dragon arm. It was a bluff, and she backed up long before she got close, but neither boy cared. Both had jumped back, far away from her.

Haru smirked at each of them, her head inclined to the side. "Thought so." She returned her attention to Keiko and smiled brightly. "Miki, come on."

[Project 42 Arc] The Blank Period III

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."Albert Camus

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

It was the weekend, and Keiko would ordinarily be enjoying the beautiful weather if she could stop pacing around the park bench where she and Haru had planned to meet, grumbling to herself as she continued to walk in circles.

She had compiled a list of gyms, registered quirk training fields, and hero school entrance exam facilities for her and Haru to attend in the last few days. And this was the day they were going to go look at them.

Except there was a minor issue. She had assumed her mother would accompany them while they traveled about the city. She'd learned the night before that she was completely fine with them wandering off by themselves while she went shopping.

That meant she and Haru would be on their own.

That she would be alone with a girl. 

Keiko shook her head, attempting to shake the thought away. Haru was her friend. She aspired to be a hero. It would be inappropriate to consider such things. She was still having difficulty keeping her thoughts platonic because this was a completely new situation for her. And she was at a loss for what to do.

Everything was simple at school. That had become almost usual by this time. They went to class, ate lunch, and stayed away from Katsuki. Even when Haru came over for supper, nothing bothered her because having her mother there kept her peaceful. Most of the time.

She nearly died with shame when she pulled out a photo album to show Haru. The 'aws' and 'that's so adorable' and general fawning she made at how cute she was in her All Might onesie almost killed her.

And, of course, her mother had to bring up her All Might collection, which Haru requested to view this time. Keiko felt proud of it but displaying it was something she never expected to do.

Haru, to her credit, did not make fun of her. In fact, she was both impressed and excited by the collection. Even yet, being dubbed an otaku was enough to make Keiko extremely uncomfortable. At the very least, her mother rubbed her shoulder and reassured her.

Keiko checked her phone for messages from Haru for the tenth time. More than anything, it was a nervous twitch. It still gave her a thrill that she and Haru had exchanged phone numbers.

"Miki!"

Keiko sprang up, startled out of her reverie. When she looked up, she saw Haru racing toward her, smiling brightly and waving. She returned the wave with a little apprehensive smile.

"Haru, good morning!" Fujimoto's casual attire consists of a dark blue sweatshirt with the word "Dragon" inscribed in lighter blue underneath a white dragon head spitting fire. The word "Fire" is inscribed in light blue writing beneath the dragon's head. She's dressed in rolled-up jeans shorts and black ankle-length combat boots.

"I hope you weren't waiting too long?" she asked as she reached the bench.

Keiko shook her head. "No, it's fine. I've only been here a few minutes."