Chapter 42: The Second Child

[Previously]

"That wasn't exactly bursting with energy."

"Yes, sir!"

[Project 42 Arc] The Second Child

"Ideology has very little to do with 'consciousness' - it is profoundly unconscious." Louis Althusser

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

Izuku's gaze finally lifted from the stack of forms in front of him, accompanied by a sigh that expressed his weariness. He leaned back against the wall, feeling the fatigue settling in. The corridor outside held him captive, as he waited for Nighteye to conclude his business inside the room.

Seated beside him on the bench was Bubble Girl, Nighteye's trusty sidekick. Across the hall, Mirio was busy getting himself a drink from the vending machine. Mirio cracked open the can and took a sip before asking, "Managed to wrap up all those papers?"

A weary smile tugged at Izuku's lips. "Yeah, it's just... it still feels surreal being here."

Mirio's grin widened. "Nighteye tends to favor those who have a knack for lively humor, but he also appreciates the drier, more straightforward kind. I had a hunch he'd take a liking to you right away!"

Bubble Girl released a gentle sigh. "I'm really glad you both showed up when you did..." Despite the unexpected situation they found themselves in, she seemed remarkably composed.

'I suppose this must be a common occurrence,' Izuku thought, his anxiety flaring up.

"Hey, can I ask you guys something?"

Mirio's playful tone chimed in. "Well, you just did. Go on."

"When Nighteye mentioned that this job isn't a walk in the park... what did he mean by that?"

Mirio shrugged nonchalantly. "Oh, probably that every now and then you might find yourself strapped into the notorious 'tickle machine.' Nothing to worry about, really."

"Yeah, but... he said it so seriously. And at a time like this. Does it have something to do with All Might's retirement?" Izuku's gaze shifted between the two sidekicks, his confusion evident.

Bubble Girl's expression turned deeply thoughtful. "Lately, we've been investigating a specific group of villains. Shie Hassaikai, also known as the Eight Precepts of Death. They're deeply involved in organized crime, essentially the yakuza."

Izuku kept his face neutral, though his thoughts were less composed. 'Fantastic... just my luck.'

"Did you have any inkling of this?" he directed the question at Mirio.

Mirio scratched his head, contemplating. "Sort of."

"Their leader, Kai Chisaki, seems to have crossed paths with the League of Villains recently," Bubble Girl added. "Or so we suspect. There were signs of a confrontation at their last known location."

'So he did meet with them, and it escalated into a clash. I hope it was Chimera he tangled with, but I doubt she'd let Overhaul get too close.'

"Heroes usually steer clear of the yakuza, don't they?" Izuku mused. He had some understanding of the intricate dynamics within hero society, thanks to his experiences in the secretive underground training facility.

"Generally, yes. They've become less of a prominent threat, and Chisaki's actions have been unpredictable at best. His Quirk enables him to erase any traces of his crimes. So, catching him in the act hasn't been easy. But if he's connected to the League..." Bubble Girl's brow furrowed. "I believe you can connect the dots."