Chapter 75: Know Your Enemies

[Previously]

With lightning speed, the One for All user flew toward her opponent, her movements a blur of agility and power. He landed a swift and powerful swing kick to his torso, causing him to stagger back. Evading a swipe from his right hand with nimble footwork, he countered with a lightning-fast axe kick, using his left foot to deliver a devastating blow.

A chuckle escaped his opponent's lips, his voice laced with a mix of amusement and recognition. "Mirio, huh?" he guessed, his eyes glinting with a knowing glimmer. Mirio blinked in surprise, his curiosity piqued. It seemed like he had some familiarity with Mirio, and he couldn't help but wonder what he knew.

[Nabu Island Arc] Know Your Enemies

"If anyone on the verge of action should judge himself according to the outcome, he would never begin." - Søren Kierkegaard

-You Can Be A Hero Too-

Elsewhere on the island, Mahoro tightly gripped her little brother's left wrist as they sprinted down the desolate street. The sight of the devastated harbor and the menacing villain overpowering Mayo propelled her determination to find a secure refuge for Katsuma and herself. Their desperate escape led them toward the distant horizon, where a modest little house stood at the end of the road.

"Let's wait at home until the heroes show up!" Mahoro insisted, her voice filled with determination. "If they can, that is..." she grumbled under her breath, correcting herself. Her little brother, Katsuma, still held onto his hope that Izuku or someone else would come to their rescue.

"Mahoro, maybe we should've waited by the harbor," Katsuma suggested, trying to catch her attention.

"It's too dangerous there!" she quickly replied, her voice tinged with worry. "The best thing we can do is lay low and wait for someone to come and help us," she added, her tone becoming more serious. However, Katsuma remained unconvinced, sensing the fear in his sister's eyes.

They continued walking towards their house. "Okay, we'll wait inside and..." Before Mahoro could finish her sentence, their home was suddenly engulfed in a massive explosion. The force of the blast knocked them both off their feet, sending their sunhats flying into the wind.

"Our house..." Katsuma stammered, his voice trembling, as they sat on the ground, staring at the smoldering remains of what was once their sanctuary. Through the smoke, a figure emerged with glowing yellow eyes. It was Nine, the same person they had seen at the harbor. The children clung to each other, shaking with fear as he approached.

Nine's gaze scanned the frightened siblings, his eyes filled with a mix of curiosity and malevolence.

"Ah..." he sighed, a sudden realization dawning upon him. With a discerning gaze, he effortlessly identified the child he had been searching for. It was Katsuma. Closing the distance, he approached them and spoke, his voice laced with a mix of determination and urgency.

"You're the one," he stated, his footsteps steady.

Mahoro's voice trembled with fear as she desperately questioned him, "Wh-What do you want?"

"I'm here for the boy," Nine replied calmly, continuing his purposeful stride.

A wave of terror washed over Katsuma, etching itself on his face. Seeking to alleviate their fears, the villain offered a twisted reassurance, "Don't worry, I won't harm you... I simply require your Quirk."

"No! Stay back!" Mahoro's scream pierced the air. With a surge of power, she conjured a pink Chinese guardian lion that lunged toward Nine. Unflinching, he watched as it passed through him, dissolving into mist.