Nat - Antler Queen pt. 3

When I came into the cabin earlier I completely ignored everyone. I sat on a bench against the wall across from the fire place, tears still falling silently from my eyes. It's been a couple hours since we got back and I've barely moved a muscle.

I'm completely out of it. I don't know how to feel or think right now. I keep trying to think of solutions that would have let my girlfriend and my little brother live, but I can't think of any. Everyone here is completely fucking nuts. I understand we need to eat, I just can't get behind this solution.

Travis hasn't even tried to speak to me yet. Natalie keeps trying to ask me how I am but all I can get out is a shake of my head. Tai and Misty have also tried to talk to me, but I fully ignored them.

I realize I had zoned out when I saw the moon and stars through the window instead of a sunset. Natalie notices me looking around the room and comes over to me. She sits on the bench beside me and starts playing with my hair. She pulls all my hair behind my shoulders and brushes it with her fingers.

Whenever I can't sleep Natalie plays with my hair, she knows it relaxes me and that the gesture makes me feel loved.

Everyone was starting to gather around the fire. They brought in raw meat plate by plate. I tried not to pay attention to my surroundings but something caught my attention. Travis stood In the middle of everyone. Mari held out a plate with a heart on it. Travis picked it up and took a bite out of it, I watched with an expressionless face.

After a minute, Natalie wiped my tears and kissed my temple as a goodbye when she stood to help with the cooking. I lifted my feet onto the bench to hold my knees close to my chest. I rested my head on my knees and zoned out again.

I come out of my sleepy state when Natalie rubs my arm. I lift my head to look at her and she's kneeling in front of my with a bowl of food in her hand. "Here baby, you need to eat." She tells me. I shake my head no and start saying, "No, I'm not e-" "Love, you need t-" She interrupts but I cut her off, "Natalie I'm not fucking eating my brother. " I yell.

I feel everyone's eyes turn to us but I ignore it. She sets the bowl down on the bench beside me. "I love you. " She whispers as she stands up and goes to sit in a chair near me but closer to the fire. I rest my head against the wall and doze off.

I wake up not too much later. I hear Van talking about the wilderness and stuff but don't open my eyes. I only open them when Lottie cuts her off and starts talking, "We all assumed I was the leader because I could hear the wilderness. But really I think it just wanted me to teach you all how to hear it and now you can. Today showed me who the wilderness really wants to lead us."

"Natalie", Lottie said. "We tried to kill you. It wouldn't let us. " Lottie says and walks over to Natalie. Lottie takes Nats hands in her own and kisses her knuckles. Natalie stands up from her chair as Lottie walks away. One by one, everyone, including Travis, took their turn at bowing to their new queen.

This is too much. Lottie is obviously mentally ill, Travis isn't even fazed that Javi is dead, and my girlfriend is now their leader. I can't even begin to process my grief when I know that next week this is going to happen all over again.

Tears start rolling down my face as I stand up and go to Natalie. I hold her arm to get her attention and she turns to me. She has tears stained on her cheeks as well. She gives me a concerned look and I respond by taking her hand and walking towards the attic ladder. I bring Nat with my into the attic to be alone.

As soon as we're both off the ladder I completely break down. She brings me into a tight hug which I'm greatful for. My head rests on her chest and my arms around her waist. Her arms are around my neck so she can run her fingers through my hair.

"Do you regret choosing me?" She asks me shakily. "No. I wish it was me instead." I cried to her. "I'm the leader now. It'll never be you, my love." She promises.

A/N
I honestly don't know how I feel about this. I loved pt 1 and 2 but I didn't know how to end pt 3. I kind of hate it but Idk how else to end it good so whatever.