43 - Reunification

4 months had passed.

No communication, no update. Nothing. It wasn't allowed. Despite the form being processed and approved, since he was in an active mission, there was nothing I could do.

And I had been benched. For a field agent, its the worst thing that can happen. I lost opportunity after opportunity.

The only thing I could do was work on  getting better. I took my meds, practiced physio, kept up with my shooting and sparring. To the best of my abilities anyway.

Price would often let me take over some of Ghost's duties. I became a makeshift secretary at that point, responding to his emails and taking phone calls. But it was the familiarity, I got to spend time in his office. It put me at ease.

The best part that came out of this awful situation, though? I moved into his apartment. Of course, he didn't know. But I had the keys, so why not? Every night, I'd sleep in his bed. Every morning, I'd make breakfast in his kitchen, lounge in his living room, raid his closet. It was the closest thing I had to him.

But I was all better now. My limbs were no longer stiff. My shoulder and ankle were all healed up, albeit leaving a nasty scar behind. But I had many of those.

And respect for me grew immensely on base. Everyone knew my name, what I did, who I had become. I really worked on becoming my best self, anticipating Ghost's return so he could also be proud of what I have attained.

~ Present ~

I was back in Ghost's office, actioning some supply requests. Funnily enough, the emails being sent to Ghost greeted me. Everyone had already gotten used to me replying and anticipating a response from me.

It made me feel authoritative, doing a Lieutenant's work. But I would never want to actually do any of this. I barely scratched the surface of what Ghost was responsible for. No wonder all he did was work.

The phone rang.

"Hello, acting Lieutenant speaking." I said, picking up the phone.

"Hi, Y/n. I'm calling again from the Finance Corporation. How's everything been?" The lady over the phone asked.

"Oh Denise! Everything is going pretty smoothly on my end. How's the kids? Did your boy start school okay?" I asked in return.

At this point the relations I had make with majority of Ghost's contacts were strong. I don't know how, but I just tended to get along with everyone.

"He did yeah, bless. Listen, I can't talk long because the boss is looming over! I was wondering if you can give me an update on the receipts that are being processed?" She replied in a rush.

"Hmm.." I mumbled, flicking through the system. "As you know, I can't directly sign them off, I don't have the authorisation unfortunately. But I can see here that they have been passed on to a super user so I'd say give it about-" I started but then the door swung open.

"Y/n!" Lucy yelled but quickly shut her mouth when she saw I was on the phone.

"Yeah-... give it another 3 to 5 working days, it should be done by next week." I finished off.

"Thank you, Y/n! You've been a great help. Stay well!" Denise smiled over the phone before I hung up.

"Luce, I told you. You can't keep barging in here- atleast knock before you-"

"He's back." Lucy said, intercepting my rant.

"What?"

"The Lieutenant. He's returned." She said excitedly.