Chapter 27

Mahi's POV

My heart already belonged to him but my mind, the more rational organ of my body was nagging me constantly.

Would he ever see me as more than a young girl, the sister of his close friend? Would he recognize the depth of my love, hidden beneath my shy smiles and stolen glances?

Uncertainty gnawed me, but I remained steadfast, my heart was holding onto the hope that one day, my hero would come to realize the love that burned brightly within me.

I started gathering information about him in bits and pieces and within no time, I knew everything about his likes and dislikes, his favorite dishes, color, movie, actor, singer, player, game, car, holiday destination... Everything. 

I was going crazy about him and he was oblivious of me.

He was in the last year of the school and as he was extremely good-looking, tall, fair, and handsome, he was very popular (along with Shaurya and Viren) and already the crush of many girls.

It was a challenging and emotionally charged period, one that tested my patience, self-confidence, and understanding of relationships.

I knew he treated me like a stupid teenager and cared for me as he would care for his sister, but I wanted his love. So I would do all kinds of stupid things around him to gain his attention and affection.

He was always surrounded or followed by girls in school and even when he was at home, a girl who used to live next door always used to be around him. What was her name?  Phalguni? Manvi?

Idiot!! Stupid girl!!

Why couldn't she leave him alone? I wanted to push away all the girls who used to go anywhere near him. But he was always happy around them.

Once, we were gathered near the pool, and I couldn't help but notice his neighbor flirting with him. They were engrossed in playful conversation, and he had a mischievous smile on his face as he toyed with her long, flowing hair.

Seeing him looking at her with a certain twinkle in his eyes stirred up a wave of unease within me. I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason at that time, but I knew I didn't want him to look at any girl other than myself, the way he looked at her. Why hadn't he ever looked at me like that?

As their interaction continued, my jealousy grew stronger. I became desperate for his attention, longing for him to direct those captivating glances and playful gestures toward me. In a reckless attempt to divert his focus, I decided to take a drastic step.

Though it was the very first day of swimming class and I didn't know how to swim properly, I threw caution to the wind and intentionally stumbled and plunged into the pool, hoping that my bold action would capture his undivided attention.

The moment I hit the water, a mix of panic and exhilaration washed over me. I had expected him to react, but what happened next surprised me.

He cursed and without hesitation, he leaped into the pool after me. Swift as a gazelle, he caught me in his strong arms, ensuring that I remained safe. The world around me blurred as I clung to him, wrapped in a tight embrace. He must have thought I was terrified, so he gently placed his arm around me, offering solace and comfort.

Together, we made our way out of the water. But since I had gulped some water, I lost consciousness. When I finally regained awareness, my eyes slowly fluttered open. And there he was, leaning over me, his worried eyes searching for signs of life. At that moment, I felt an overwhelming rush of emotions—gratitude, relief, and an undeniable connection to him.