FLASHBACK: Celebrating Our Engagement, and the Morning After

Hi Readers: Before I write this chapter, I just want to say this. I have decided that I am going to do a bit of a twist on this chapter, and that means that it may not play out exactly like it did in the show. But that doesn't mean that it isn't going to be similar. Enjoy.
XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

October 2014, Chicago Fire Academy – She was currently on track to take her academy test next week, the test that would make or break her career in the fire department as a firefighter, which is what she really wants to be, a firefighter. Sure, she's been a paramedic for the longest time; but this is really what she wants to be, a firefighter. And thanks to the man she loves, that's exactly what she's determined to do it this time. To pass the entry exam and make her way into the academy. And that's all she wants at the end of the day, to be with the man she loves; and to be a firefighter, which is something that she spoke to Shay about just months ago before she died. But now, she was going to do it; with Matt's help, she was going to pass this test. "Okay, so this is simple. Run up the stairs, in your gear." Gabby agreed with Matt, well aware that was the drill. "I know, I just hope I can do it in time." Matt agreed with Gabby.

After which, he proceeded to make his way over to the woman he loves. "Hey, look at me." Gabby agreed with Matt. "You can do this, because all of your years as a paramedic has prepared you for this. You've seen us do it thousands of times, and just think about what I do. Even better, pretend you're my candidate and just think about how fast I would run up those stairs. And what does a candidate do?" Gabby smiled. "Stay on your hip." Matt agreed. "Then do just that. Stay on my hip, at my speed...and you shouldn't have any problems doing this." Gabby agreed with Matt as he said that, before smiling at him. "You know, it means a lot to me for you to do this." Matt agreed. "Hey, you're my girl. And this is just one of the many things that I do for my girl." Gabby agreed with Matt, before letting him go as she wanted to start this race up to the top. She wanted to do it and prepare for her entrance exam.

But first, she needs to listen to Matt's voice. "Okay, you ready?" Gabby agreed, giving him one last nod to let him know that she was more than ready to do this. "Go!" Gabby then proceeded to run off, ready to make her way to the top of the academy. To the place where she was going to qualify for the academy....and get engaged to the man she loves, she just doesn't know that yet.

Matt's POV:
As I watched Gabby run off to go run up the stairs, I smirked due to the fact that I already knew that she was going to do it with time to spare; heck, I didn't even need to time her. Not that it really mattered when it came down to it, as that's going to be the last thing on her mind once we're both up there. When I'm up there with her and doing exactly what I did on the day of Boden's wedding; and that would be asking the woman I love to marry me, hopefully on one knee. Then again, Gabby is going to be up there before me; so, I'm not sure whether that's going to be possible. All I know is that I need to get up there and be there to ask her as soon as I can; because I've waited long enough, and it's finally time to ask her to marry me. I have her brother's blessing, now just to get her to say yes.

And while this may seem fast to some people (we've only been together for ten months), it feels much longer to me; due to the fact that we've known each other for a long time before this day. Before we stared dating, and truly fell in love. And if there's one thing that I know, it's that Gabby if my forever...and she'll always be my forever. But now, it's time for me to run; to make my way up to the roof, so that I can do what I need to do today. And that would be to ask the woman I love to marry me once and for all.

XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

She was finally up here, on the roof of the academy; and she was certain that she did so with time to spare, which would most certainly mean that she should pass. But she didn't know yet, because Matt wasn't up here; where he said he would be. But that didn't mean that there wasn't something up here. Something that she hasn't seen for a while, which would be the ring that Matt had at Boden's wedding; and that was exactly what she was drawn to at the moment, the ring that Matt proposed to her with at the wedding. Which just so happened to also be the day which Shay died. But she wasn't thinking about that right now, as she was instead thinking about how gorgeous that ring was; and about the man who was giving it to her, especially when she heard the door close.