Chapter 2: Too Late

Chapter 2: Too Late

Light. I was beginning to see light again.
I woke up on a bed in an unfamiliar room.
"Where...where am I?"
I looked around my surroundings and it seems I'm in a clinic or a hospital?

"Ah! You're finally awake! How are you feeling?" A woman with pink hair and a yellow sweater who was sitting beside the bed said. Well...I think she is a woman.

Another person came into the room. He was a tall man with a muscular build wearing a suit.

"She's finally awake? How's her temperature?"

The woman placed her hand on my forehead and said, "She's warm. I think she'll be okay."
She then gave me a mug with hot coffee in it.
"Here, this will make you warmer."

I didn't take the mug.

"Eh? Is something wrong?" the woman said.

"Umm...I'm sorry but I don't drink coffee." I said in a timid voice.

"Oh! Is that so? That's okay!" She said with a smile. She put away the coffee and gave me another mug.

"Here! This one is hot choco! It tastes very good!"

She was just too energetic all the time. I took the mug and thanked her.
"Thank you...Umm..." I realized that I didn't know her name or the man wearing a suit.

"Ah! That's right! We haven't introduced ourselves! I'm Tsukimiya Ringo! That man over there is Hyuga Ryuya. We're teachers here in this academy."

I nodded. "My name is Yamashita Kaori. Thank you both for helping me. I appreciate it very much."
I bowed my head to thank them.

I took a few sips of the hot chocolate to warm up and asked, "Excuse me, where exactly am I?"

Hyuga-sensei leaned on the wall beside the door and said, "We found you on a sidewalk on front of the convenience store nearby when we went out to buy some hot drinks. You were really cold so we brought you here to warm you up. You're currently in the school clinic of Saotome Academy."

Upon hearing the words "Saotome Academy" I choked on my hot chocolate.

"Are you okay?!" Tsukimiya-sensei said as she took the hot chocolate away from me and patted my back.
"I'm sorry! I have to go now! I'm an examinee for the entrance exam today! Thank you for helping me! Thank you very much!"

I got off the bed and stood up immediately and as I reached for my coat that was hanging on the coat hanger beside the door,

"it's too late."

I froze and looked Hyuga-sensei.

"The exam finished three hours ago. There's no way for you to take the exam."

I...missed the exam...My heart suddenly felt so heavy and it started to ache so painfully.
My eyes started to feel wet and my vision was starting to blur. I...I won't cry! I...I never cry! No! It can't be! I..

I was utterly disappointed...I didn't know what to say or what to do. I clenched my fists tightly and just stood there, frozen.
Frozen like the sidewalk I fainted on this morning.