Chapter 91: Ripples on the Water

Today, my work finished a little late. Things weren't smooth this time so we had to extend. Sigh. I feel exhausted; the people we're collaborating with have been making quite a lot of mistakes lately so we've been doing overtime frequently these days. I'm glad to be home now.

"Ai, I'm home." I put down my bag on top of the nearest side table.

"Welcome back." He says in a monotone voice.

He sounds a bit down; perhaps he's just tired? Maybe he's stressed? He didn't look at me when he greeted me so that would mean he's not in a good mood. Did something happen at work? Or maybe he received more work against his will again?

I go over to him at the living room area; he's looking thru some papers. "Ai, how are you over there?"

He puts down the papers he was reading and says, "I'm fine. I just have to go over these papers for work. I might need to stay up late to finish these so go ahead and sleep ahead of me when you're sleepy."

His tone was cold. He's definitely not in a good mood. What could I do for him?

"Um, okay. Don't stay up too late though; it won't be good for you health."

He doesn't say anything and continues to go over his papers. Are they scripts or are they songs? Are they even related to work or are they personal matters? I'm not sure.

"Would you like me to cook up something for you, Ai? You might get hungry."

"No need."

"Do you need any help? Is there anything I could do?"

"No. There's nothing you could do at the moment; you don't have to trouble yourself. I can handle these."

He continues to talk in a cold tone and he doesn't even look at me when I'm speaking to him or when he replies to me. What's wrong with him?

"Ai, are you really okay? Is something bothering—"

"Kaori, I'm fine." He says in a cold raised tone.

Hearing him answer back to me like that ignites something in me; something snaps inside of me.

"You're not acting like yourself; something is up. What's wrong? It would help if you talk about it with me." I say in an irritated tone.

"There is nothing wrong!"

"What do you mean there's nothing wrong?! You're lying to me. Why won't you talk to me?"

"Kaori, I'm just caught up with work and some other matters! There is nothing wrong! There is nothing to talk about so would you just leave me alone for tonight?!"

I got shocked. That was the first time that Ai spoke in such an angry manner. However, instead of feeling fear or concern, something else grew inside of me and I just lost control of myself.

"I hate it when you do that...I hate it...You're always like that! It's unfair!"

He finally turns around to face me; his face is filled with shock at the sound of my voice. That was the first time I've raised my voice in anger like that at him. My head hurts from the frustration, anger, and disappointment flowing inside of me; I feel like I'd burst right here where I stand. I don't want to talk any further but because of the heat of my emotions, my mouth continues to speak without control. Even my mind is throwing out thoughts that I wish I had time to think about first before spewing them out of my mouth.

"Ka—"

"Whenever I had something in my mind or when I was feeling down, I would always confide in you! You always told me that you'd listen to me and help me if you could and I said that it would be the same for you but all you do is keep it to yourself! You would change the subject and handle it by yourself! You don't confide in me at all! It makes me think that you don't trust me enough or you think that I'm useless during your times of need! It's like you keep secrets from me and that's just terrible! It's not fair!"