Chapter 7: Idol and Composer

Classes start today! I'm a bit excited and nervous at the same time. I wonder what we'll happen today?

"Good morning, everyone. Listen up; the real battle starts from here! As I said before, always do your best and don't work half heartedly! Can I see the hands of those taking the idol course?"

Several students were raising their hands. I didn't know whether I should raise my hand or not...since I am a special case.

I recall what Saotome-sensei said to me when he gave me my acceptance letter.
"Yamashita Kaori, I want you to open the envelope and read what is written in the letter."
I opened the letter and to my surprise, it says that I was admitted into both the composer and idol course!
"Saotome-sensei! Is this for real?! I'm going to take both the composer and idol course at the same time?!"
Hyuga-sensei and Tsukimiya-sensei were just as surprised as I am.
"That's right! You are going to take those two courses at the same time! I look forward to your works!"

So now, I decided to raise my hand anyway since technically I am enrolled in the idol course...and composer course.

Hyuga-sensei looked at the faces of those who raised their hands and when his eyes met mine, I looked away. I was kind of intimidated after learning who he actually is plus I get nervous when I have eye contact with other people. Though I was looking away, I could tell that Hyuga-sensei remembered me because he smiled a bit.

"Alright then, please put your hands down. Now, those who are in the composer course please raise your hands."

I raised my hand again.

"Hey, didn't that girl already raised her hand a while ago?"
"You're right. I saw her raise her hand when Hyuga-sensei was asking for the people in the idol course!"
"So which course is she actually taking?"
"Haha. Maybe she forgot?"
"Hey, I don't think she's that stupid."
"She can't be enrolled in both, right? We're supposed to choose only one."

I can hear some of my classmates' whispers. I know they're talking about me. I'm sure some of them noticed that I raised my hand twice but what can I do? I really am enrolled in both courses. I can't tell them though. Saotome-sensei told me not to tell the other students about it because it's the first time he allowed this to happen and he said it was because I had potential to do so. Only the teachers and staff know that I'm actually enrolled in both courses.

"You can put your hands down now."

I sighed after putting my hand down because of the whispers I heard.

"Those who are in the idol course and composer course will be studying together in order for you all to be acquainted with each other and in the end of the first term, those who are in the idol course will need to pair up with someone from the composer course. You don't have to pair up with someone from the same class. You can pair up with anyone from the other classes. You're free to choose whoever you want to partner with. You'll be working together with your partner for your graduation audition! And the road to a major debut will be opened to the victorious pair!"

Wow. So I get to pair up with someon—hold on! I'm enrolled in the idol and composer course! So, do I technically get partnered with anyone or am I not allowed to pair up with anyone?! No way! That won't be fair! What do I do!?

"So get to know a lot of people and search for your perfect partner!"

Hyuga-sensei was walking around the classroom as he was talking. He stopped in the center of the classroom and said,

"Remember one important rule though!"

An important rule? What kind of rule could that be?

"That rule is...Romance is absolutely forbidden! Dating is absolutely forbidden! Offenders will be expelled immediately no matter what the reason! That is the rule of the academy!"

No dating? That's alright. I came to school to study and not to look for a love life. I came here to fulfil my dreams as an idol and a composer! I won't let romance get in the way!

"Now, for your first test, I'll be pairing you up with someone and we'll have a recording test!
The idol student will write the lyrics to the song while the composer student will be writing the music."

"What?!"
"We have a test already?"
"I hope I'll get paired up with someone good!"
"I wonder who my partner will be?"

"Now listen everyone, I already wrote down random pairings. Here they are."

Hyuga-sensei started posting some papers on the board. The papers had everyone's names and their randomized partner.
I wonder who my partner will be.

Everyone approached the board to get a better look at the list. I stood up and also went to get a better look. I was searching my name and I found it at the end of the list.

"Huh? I don't have a partner?"

I approached Hyuga-sensei and asked him about it.
He spoke to me a bit softly so that the other students won't be able to hear.

"You're enrolled in both the composer and idol course right? Since Saotome decided to admit you to the school, this class has an odd number of students. So I decided that I'd let you do this one alone. Don't worry; I think you can do it."

I nodded at Hyuga-sensei but I felt a little sad. I felt sad because I won't be able to work with someone I don't know. It's going to be harder to make friends if I work alone most of the time.
Hyuga-sensei seemed to notice that I seemed a little down.

"Don't worry. I'm only letting you work alone for this test because I couldn't think of which pair I could group you with. In the next pair works, I'll make sure you'll get a group."
Hyuga-sensei smiled to assure me and I smiled back.

Everyone was looking for their partners and greeted them. Hyuga-sensei gave us a few minutes to get acquainted with our partners. Since I didn't have a partner, I decided to go back to my seat and wait patiently.

"Why is she all alone? Doesn't she have a partner?"
"I think her name is Yamashita Kaori. Her name was at the end of the list and no one was assigned to her."
"I guess she's going to work alone?"
"I kind of feel bad for her but I guess nothing can be done since this is a pair work and the number of students here in the S class is odd numbered."

Whyyyyyy? Please stop talking about me. Please don't give me the image of a loner or something. It's just a complicated case of being enrolled in two courses. Sighhh.

Everyone started to settle down and returned to their seats. Hyuga-sensei then went to the back of the classroom where a piano was positioned.

"To give you guys an idea, we'll listen to one of the best tunes from last year. So can I have a volunteer to play the music sheet on the piano?"

No one would volunteer. I also didn't want to volunteer. I was afraid of making a mistake or something. That would be embarrassing and on the first day of classes!

"Well, since no one would volunteer, let's have Yamashita Kaori to play for us."

"Eh?!"

I looked at Hyuga-sensei and pointed at myself. He nodded.
I stood up and went to the piano. I took my seat and Hyuga-sensei gave me the music sheet. I read them for a while and then placed them on the piano.

"Skip the intro and start on this part after the last note of the intro."

I nodded and started playing the song. The song was nice. The song makes you feel happy and fuzzy inside; it felt really nice and joyful. Hyuga-sensei made me play until the end of the song.

"Alright, thank you for playing. So that is a sample from last year's batch. I hope that you can produce a song as good as or better than what you heard. Good luck."

Hyuga-sensei then started lecture and class went on. Soon it was break time once again. I decided to walk around campus and eat later since I wasn't that hungry yet. All the facilities are just extravagant and complete that it amazes me so much. I'm happy I got into this school.