Chapter 70: Cyst

Chapter 70: Cyst

It's so lonely without everyone around; the dorm is like a haunted house or something. It's so quiet that I could hear myself breathing! Sigh. I'll have to endure this silence for a week...it's a good thing that I'm doing a voice acting job! At least I won't be bored while they're gone since I'll be at the studio most of the time. Today is Monday so that would mean the recording will start in the afternoon; for the rest of the week, it would start in the morning and end in the evening.

I look at my watch and hurriedly went on my way out.

"Kaori, where are you going?"

"Ah...Manager-san! Good morning!"

"Good morning."

"I'm just going out for a bit. I might take a while so you don't need to wait for me; I'll meet you later at the recording studio. I promise I won't be late."

"Would you like me to take you by car to wherever you're going?"

"No need; I'll just take public transportation. See you later."

"Uh...okay?"

I got a taxi and told the driver the name of the place I was going to. From the agency, the place is 35 minutes away by car.

The taxi stops on front of the building. I paid the taxi driver and thanked him.

Well this is it, time to get checked; I went inside the hospital.

"Good morning, Ms. Yamashita. So what brings you here?"

"Well, I think that there's something wrong with my throat. "

"Your throat? That might be a problem. You're an idol, right? It won't be good if your throat has a problem."

"Sometimes, I feel like something is in my throat. Then, I've been exerting more effort than before in singing and in using my vibrato and then I was told that my voice sounds a bit different from before. I'm really worried and would like to know what's wrong with it and have it treated as soon as possible."

"When did you notice the changes?"

"Well, it was around a month ago but back then it was enough to just sleep and let my throat rest; it would go back to normal after. But now, resting seems to be not enough anymore and I can really feel something."

"Let's take a closer look shall we?"

The doctor examines my throat and after a while, he found what was wrong with my throat.

"Ms. Yamashita, it seems that your vocal chords have a problem."

"My vocal chords?!"

"It seems that you've got a cyst in your vocal chords. The cyst is the source of the problems you've been having with your throat and voice."

"Does this mean that I would need to have surgery?"

"Yes, you will need to undergo surgery in order to remove the cyst in your vocal chords. However, the surgery would mean that you will not be able to talk or to make any sounds with your vocal chords and you will need to rest for at least a month. You will then undergo voice therapy once you are allowed to use your voice after the resting period but even then, you cannot use your voice all out just yet until another month or so."

"Is the surgery mandatory? Will I be alright without it?"

"Without the surgery, your vocal chords may get damaged, your voice may change permanently, and your voice may also get callous; there are more possible outcomes aside from those."