Chapter 85: Another Year With My Beloved

"By the way, when are you guys heading back to Tokyo?" Kuro asks.

"Kaori and I will be on our way back to Tokyo on January 3 since she has work on the 4th."

"Ai and I originally planned on heading back on January 2 but we decided to extend for one day."

"You guys should come back when you have a long break. We could go to Nara next time! And if I'm on vacation too, then we can go to Osaka or Kobe!" Kuro says enthusiastically.

"Sure, why not? We'll notify you if Kaori and I will be coming again."

"Nice, nice!"

Kuro then suddenly pauses and looks at me; he looks like he just remembered something.

"Hey sis! Since you're here on New Year's Eve, are you going to take part in 'that'?"

"Eh? What are you—" Ah! I remember now!

"What are you two talking about?" Ai asks in curiosity.

"Well...it's nothi—"

"Sis didn't tell you that she always takes part in the New Year's Eve festival? She always was part of the main event each year before she moved to Tokyo."

"She never mentioned it before."

"Really?! It's really cool! She wears a really awesome costume and the makeup looks good on her then she has to do a traditional dance on front of everyone ten minutes before the New Year comes. Everyone looks forward to it each year! But ever since she moved to Tokyo, it hasn't been the same no matter who takes her place."

"H-Hey! Why did you tell him about that?!"

"Tell me more about it." Ai says bluntly.

"Eh?! B-But—"

Kuro cuts me off.

"It all started when she was forced to be a replacement for the original performer who was a family friend of ours. Sis was requested by that person and ended up learning the dance in three days. When the festival came, we didn't expect much from her since it was her first time and she didn't get a lot of practice but we were all surprised when she came out with the costume and makeup on! She looked great! We were even more surprised when she started performing; it was captivating! Ever since then, the festival committee would request for her to perform."

Kuro! Stop talking about it! Or else! I turn to look at Ai and I can see that he's interested.

Kuro continues to talk about the festival. He tells Ai that every year, our area holds a New Year Welcoming festival and every year since that time I was asked to be a replacement for the performer, I've been taking part on the traditional dance. The dance is always the finale of the festival that happens ten minutes before the New Year enters. It lasts for ten minutes and right after the dance, everyone starts a countdown; the dance ends 1 minute before the New Year starts. After the countdown, fireworks would shower the sky and everyone starts celebrating even more.

"Since we're all free today, do you want to go visit the shrine where the festival is held?"

"I'd like to." Ai says happily.

"Eh?! But—"

"It's settled then!" Kuro says as he eats faster. "Let's go after eating!"

I know what this little brother of mine is doing. He's going to make sure that I take part in the festival by showing that I'm here in Kyoto! Sigh! Little devil...I was planning on not participating because I want to go and enjoy the festival with Ai! How dare you take that away from me! Sigh...