Chapter 47: First Job

I immediately went to the office after I finished breakfast and looked for the manager that called me. There were many people in the office as usual so it took a while before I saw him drinking his coffee while reading a file at a desk near the corner of the room.

"Good morning, manager-san."

"Yamashita-san, good morning! You can sit over here while I tell you the details of the job offer. Oh, this is for you."

I sat at the chair he offered and he gave me something that looked like a manuscript. I opened it to the first page and then I flipped all the other pages quickly.

"Manager-san, what's this?"

"It's the script of the last episode of a drama series that will start shooting around two weeks from now. The producer of the series gave me a copy to give you as a source of inspiration."

"Inspiration? For the job?"

"The job they're offering you is to be the composer and singer of the series' ending theme. They also want you to act as a character in the series; they want you to play as the female lead's sister who is a singer."

"Wait...I-I'm going to a-act?!"

"Yes, you will act aside from composing and singing the ending theme. Do you perhaps have a problem with acting?"

"Um...it's just that I don't have so much experience with it since I was usually getting modelling, composing, and singing jobs. My acting is not that great in my opinion."

"Well, this could be your opportunity to get some practice and experience. I looked over the script and role of your character and it's not that difficult. I think you can do it."

"Manager-san, what's the series about?"

The manager took out a notebook and opened it.

"I wrote it down so I wouldn't forget and miss any details. Well, there are these two people who will fall in love and have the usual hardships on the way. The two people end up becoming a couple and then they get engaged in the future. They get married and live a happy life but one day, the husband shows signs of serious illness; it turns out that the man has a terminal illness. The husband gets confined in a hospital and his wife decides to take care of him. Every day without fail, she goes to the hospital and tells him about whatever happened during her day and how things outside are; she always smiles and is cheerful in front of the husband and always tells him that he will get better. Some time has passed and the husband becomes really weak and feels that he is near death. Sensing he is about to die soon, he asked his wife to spend a whole day with him in the hospital room and asks her several questions such as does she still love him until now, was he ever a burden to her, did he make her happy ever since they got married, and other questions that meant a lot to him. He also apologized to her for putting her thru all this instead of fulfilling his promises to her. The wife answers all of his questions honestly and happily and comments that he's sounding like a dying a man. The husband then smiles at her tenderly and takes her hand and tells her that he is indeed a dying man and that he feels that he'll be dying soon."

"Manager-san...that's so...depressing."

The manager turned to the next page and continued reading aloud.

"The wife's eyes then started to tear up and her smile was getting crooked. In the end, the man dies during that day after telling his wife his honest and deep feelings about everything they went thru and just how much he loves her and that if he dies, she should try to be happy even if he's gone; he even tells her that he doesn't mind if she ends up remarrying some time after his death. He emphasized to her that he wants her to be happy even if he can't be there by her side anymore; she should live on."