Chapter 26: Kaoru in Saotomate

As I slept, I had a dream...well I would call it more of a flashback. It was about my first day working in Saotomate as Kaoru.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up a bit earlier today since I have to put on and fix my wig and makeup. Today is my first shift in Saotomate as Kaoru. They told me that manager-san doesn't know about Kaoru being the same person as Kaori so I have to be careful around him; it turns out that it was strictly teachers only that knew about Kaoru being Kaori.

I finished fixing myself and went on my way to Saotomate. Since it was still early in the morning, I didn't bump into anyone or was seen by anyone. I arrived at Saotomate and prepared myself.

"Good morning. I'm Yamashita Kaoru, the new part timer."

Manager-san was checking the inventory as usual when I came.
"Oh! You're quite early! Welcome to Saotomate and I hope you'll do your best. I'm Nowaki, the manager."

He proceeded to tell me what I'd be doing and what I should be checking. Though I already know all of these as Kaori, I pretended to not know and learn as Kaoru. After the manager finished talking, he stared at my face. I feel uncomfortable.

"Is there something wrong with my face, manager-san?"

"Are you related to Yamashita Kaori?"

"Yes, I am. I'm her older brother."

He stared longer at my face and I am really getting uncomfortable with this.
"No wonder! Sorry for staring but you really do resemble Kaori-chan when I take a better look."

"I guess so since we are siblings after all."

"Anyway, during this time, customers start coming. You should go behind the cashier now and one more thing, please call me Nowaki."

"Roger that, manager-san."

"Nooo! Don't be like your sister!"

There is no way I am going to give you that privilege. Haha. It's much more fun to call you manager-san.

Unlike my first shift as Kaori, it seems that there are many customers today. Well, it is near the end of the week so people have more time to go around and all. At least today won't be boring and I won't have to end up being bothered by manager-san.

"Hey, look! Saotomate has a new employee."
"Really? Where?"
"Over there by the shelf at the left! He looks quite handsome, doesn't he?"
"Kya! You're right! He's cute!"

I can hear all of you. I guess girls these days are really like that. I would never be like that. Besides, romance is not on my list until I fulfill my dream of becoming an idol and composer!

"Excuse me."

I heard a girl behind me. "Yes? What can I do for you?"
I thought there was only one girl behind me but when I turned around, there was a bunch of them. Is Kaoru really that attractive for them? I guess if I was really a boy, I would be popular with girls. Ugh, if I really was born a boy then I hope I wouldn't turn into a playboy like Ren-san. Sigh.

"We were wondering if you had this in stock here in Saotomate. I usually buy this at the mall but if you have this here then I won't have to go so far anymore."

I took the product and looked at the label. "I'm not sure if we have this in stock but let me check the inventory list. Please hold on for a while."
I went back behind the cashier to get the inventory list underneath and searched for the product's name. I hope it's here.