Chapter 18: Kaori in Saotomate

Today is my first shift in Saotomate! I'm all pumped up and excited to work! Good thing that they made my first shift in the store for Kaori and not Kaoru! If I had to work as Kaoru on my first shift, I'd just end up sulking for the whole day. Ah! That reminds me, I have to go to Tsukimiya-sensei later. He said he'll teach me how to dress and look like a boy and teach me certain stuff about being a trap...he's too into this. I already know how to do my hair and makeup for cross-dressing but I think I'll learn so much more from Tsukimiya-sensei. Sigh.

After a few minutes of walking, I realized that I was already at the door of Saotomate.

"Good morning! I am Yamashita Kaori, I'll do my best!"

A young man wearing glasses and a small pony tail was standing by one of the shelf. He was holding a clipboard and writing stuff on in. I think he was checking the products and inventory before the shop opens.
"Good morning. So you're the part timer that Saotome-sensei told me about. I'm Nowaki, the manager."

"Eh? You're the manager? Really? You look like a student. I thought you were another part timer like me."

Nowaki-san laughed. "Is that so? I often get mistaken as a student but I'm actually older than what I seem to be."

Really? Nowaki-san seems like he's young. I wonder how old is he?
He then starts telling me about the store and what I would be doing. I'll be the cashier most of the time and will only assist the students if Nowaki-san is not around to help them and if they have any questions and need help.

The store opens and the real work starts.

"Kaori-chan, just saying, it doesn't really get busy here in the store most of the time. Hope you won't get too bored staying here." He smiles and sits on a chair beside a shelf.

"It's okay. I'm quite used to this. I've been working in different stores before so I don't mind."

"So you've been working part time for a while?"
I nodded. "I've been working part time since around my second year of junior high school."

"Don't your parents work?"

"They do but I don't want to burden them too much so I often pay one third or half of my tuition fee in school. We're not poor nor do we have any financial problems. It's just that I want to help them and it would be nice if the money that they didn't spend on my tuition would go to my younger brother's tuition. Besides, I get to have more pocket money!" I laughed.

Suddenly, I felt a hand pat my head. "You're a good girl, Kaori-chan. You really are."

"U-uh...thank you, manager!"

"Hehe, Just call me Nowaki."

"Alright!"

The store was quite and only a few students came by in the morning. I wish that more people would come. It's too boring if it would be like this the whole day. I sighed.

"I told you it would be boring most of the time. The only time this place is busy is during the afternoon and on weekends." Nowaki-san said.

As I was about to sigh once more, the door of the shop opened and a customer came in! I quickly stood up straight and put on a happy face.

"Welcome to Saotomate!" I greeted.

"Hmm? I didn't know you work here."

The customer was Hijirikawa-san.

"Hijirikawa-san! Y-yes! Starting today I'll be working part-time here in Saotomate. If you need anything, you can ask me."

Hijirikawa-san then went to the stationary section and he bought a calligraphy brush and ink.
"Hijirikawa-san, you're into calligraphy?"

"Yes. It's one of my hobbies and it helps me relax and clear my mind."

"Oh, I feel the same way when I draw."

"Draw?"

"Yes. I love visual arts aside from music. In fact, I draw a lot! Landscapes, people, objects, anime, I draw all sorts of things. Hehe."

"Is that so? Maybe you could show me some of your drawings some time."

"Sure! Then maybe you can show me some of your calligraphy works!"

I put the items he bought into a small plastic bag and registered his purchase in the cash register.

"If you're working here, what about your classes for today?" Hijirikawa-san asked.

"My shifts are irregular so when it falls on a school day, my teachers will be notified in the faculty room by Saotome-sensei so there's no problem. I'll just be given extra assignments and research in exchange of my absence."

He paid for the items and left the store.
When I looked at Hijirikawa-san a while ago, I could have sworn I saw a smile on his face. It lasted for around two seconds I think but I swear I saw him smile. I think it was adorable. A smile surely fits him.

"Kaori-chan, you're smiling all of a sudden. Did something good happen when I wasn't looking?" Nowaki-san said as he gave me a teasing smile.

"N-nothing! It's nothing! I was just happy that there was a customer just now."

"Happy that there was a customer or happy because of who the customer was?"

"Stop messing with me, manager-san."

"Wah! Don't call me manager! I want you to call me by my name!"

"No. I refuse. This is punishment for teasing me, manager-san."

"Nooo! I'm sorry, Kaori-chan! I'm sorry! Please forgive me!"

I smiled brightly and said in a sarcastic tone, "It's okay, I forgive you, manager-san."

"Noooooooooo!"

More customers came by during the afternoon. Most of them were buying school supplies and some food to eat and to stock in their dorms. I didn't get to see any of my other friends during my shift. It was fun in the shop and I was happy to be of use to everyone who came. Thus my first day of work in Saotomate ended without a problem and with a manager who was sitting and sulking at the corner of the shop just because I wouldn't call him by his name.

I think it's fun to pick on the manager.