Chapter 34: Rocking Heart

The last class before lunch break ended. I went over to Syo.

"Hey Syo."

"Yeah? What's up?"

"I'll be leaving school after the last subject before lunch for the week because I have a collaboration album recording for Shining Agency. Can I copy notes from you?"

"Oh yeah. Sure, there's no problem."

I thanked Syo and was about to leave.

"Hey."

"Yes?"

"You really work hard, don't you?"

"Yeah. I've been taking lots of jobs to have more money for the expenses. Prices and bills do fluctuate, don't they? I wish they wouldn't so fast."

"Good luck with your job then."

"See ya."

I went back to my room to change my clothes and packed extra clothes and some snacks in case the recording would take long. I left the school and walked to the train station. After I got off at the station, I immediately took a cab to the studio. I'm happy I made it there on time.

"Good afternoon. I'm Yamashita Kaoru; I'll be working with you for this album. Let's do our best!"

I introduced myself to the person I was going to work with. This album is going to be a collaboration album with a rock singer so the songs are going to be rock (of course). The title of the album is "Rocking Heart"; it's a rock ballad album and the person I'm working with is also under the management of Shining Agency and I've been told that he is very good; his name is Kurosaki Ranmaru.

"I'm Kurosaki Ranmaru. Don't slack off and give it all you've got."

I nodded.
He really is cool and his voice is perfect for rock indeed. I hope that I'll be able to do this.

We were given the lyrics and a copy of the melody beforehand so that we could practice before the recording. I've been practicing ever since I got the copy of the melody and it sure is a cool song. I expected this since Kurosaki-senpai was the one who composed the song.

We went into the recording room.
In the recording area, there was a piano, two electric guitars, bass guitar, and a drum set. I positioned myself at the piano and Kurosaki-senpai picked up the bass guitar. Three other people entered the recording area to play the other instruments. The drums played first followed by the guitars and then the bass and piano. The intro of the song was such a cool and powerful melody that it amazed me. Kurosaki-senpai then started singing and it was amazing! Words couldn't express how amazing he was! I started singing on the second verse and then the rest was the duet. We played and sang the whole song to the end.

"Not bad, kid." Kurosaki-senpai said after the first recording.
I smiled and nodded at him.

The manager that was assigned to look after the project then spoke to us through the intercom in the recording room.
"That was really good for the first try! It was very good! Let's try it a few more times, okay? Keep up the good work!"

We then kept on repeating and recording the songs of the album. Generally, we did really well but Kurosaki-senpai said that we should play again; he said that it was good but not good enough; I guess he's really dedicated to his rock music.
I thanked everyone and said farewell and was about to leave.

"Hey."

I turned around and it was Kurosaki-senpai.

"Kurosaki-senpai is there something you need?"

"Are you on your way home, kid?"

"I'm on my way to Shining Saotome Academy."

"The academy? Wait, are you a student there?"

I nodded.

"You're a student?! Seriously?! Don't go pullin' my leg here."

I took out my student ID card and showed it to him but I just showed him the front side or else he'll find out my real identity at the back.

"No way, I didn't expect that. From the way you played and sang back in there, I thought you were already in the business for quite a while."

"Oh, actually it's my first time to be in a band and to play rock music. It was fun."

Kurosaki-senpai was sure surprised. Well to tell the truth, I was scared the whole time during the recording because everyone was so talented and professional while I was just a newbie. I was scared of screwing up or forgetting the lyrics haha.

"I have to go now, Kurosaki-senpai. If I don't leave soon, I'll miss the last train."

"What are you talkin' about?"

He pointed at the clock in the studio.
I looked at the clock and it was already too late! I missed the last train!

"Whaaaat?! It was already this late?!"
I sulked. How am I going to get back to the academy?

"Come on."

"Huh?"

"You need to get back to the academy, right? I'm heading somewhere near there. You can ride with me."

"Ah! Thank you thank you very much! I owe you one!"

I guess I was saved by Kurosaki-senpai. If he didn't offer me a ride, I would have ended up sleeping at the studio or perhaps on the street. Huhu.

While we were in the car, we talked a bit. I was more of a listener though while Kurosaki-senpai kept talking about rock. I guess he really loves rock to the core.
He dropped me off at the gates of the academy and I thanked him probably a hundred times.

"Hey kid, the recordings might end late most of the time so you'll probably miss the last train all the time. Just tell me if you need a ride again. I pass by here often on my way home."

"Yes! Thank you very much! I'll repay you somehow!"

Kurosaki-senpai left and I took out my cell phone and called Hyuga-sensei.

"Hello? Who's this calling so late?"

"Hyuga-sensei."

"Eh? Yamashita is that you?"

"Yes. It's me. Can you please help me get into the campus? The gates are closed and I just came from the recording job. Please help me!"

"Alright. Alright. Just wait for a moment. I'm coming."

After a while, Hyuga-sensei came and led me to a smaller gate by the back of the campus. He gave me a copy of the key to the gates' lock and told me to enter from here when I get back from jobs this late at night.

I thanked him and went to my room and I fell asleep on my bed like a rock.
Rock and roll and sleep.