we don't have to

THIRD PERSON

  The night had gone so smoothly, thus far. Everyone still fit into their dresses, the girls' makeup had gone just as they had hoped, and all of their dates still wanted to take them. They were at the dance, some even dancing.

   Not Stiles and Y/N.

  A few minutes ago, Stiles and Y/N had been standing with Liam, Hayden, and Scott. Suddenly, the upbeat song had ended and a slow one began, instantly easing the crowd and putting them in pairs. Liam led Hayden to the dance floor and Scott went to find his date who had joined in the song previously. Stiles and Y/N quieted, Y/N awkwardly sipping her punch as she watched the couples dance slowly. Girls resting their heads on their dates chest, swaying softly. Nonetheless, to a song about love.

   She loved Stiles, of course. To the bottom of her heart. Which is why she didn't force him to do any dancing, as she knew that he didn't enjoy it because he knew he wasn't very good. Did she want to dance? Maybe it wasn't her favorite pass time, but this was their final dance as seniors. Plus, dancing with her boyfriend sounded nice.

   "Do you, want  to dance?" She heard Stiles say to her, and she turned towards him, seeing Stiles facing her. For another time that night, her eyes glanced up and down Stiles', doing a once-over. She hadn't seen him in a suit since sophomore year, and he had grown since then.

   Definitely grown.

  "No, no." Y/N shook her head, licking her lips. "We don't have to."

 Stiles nodded, giving a small smile, before looking back into the crowd. Y/N let out the tiniest sigh, and looked down into her cup again. While she was occupied watching the ice move, Stiles turned back to her and looked to her again. God, did she look gorgeous tonight, he thought. But, he could see that right now, she wasn't exactly smiling. Her eyes stared down into her red drink, teeth pulling her lip in boredom. The gears spun in his head as he realized that she had quieted down when everyone went off to slow dance. He could see it now. She had wanted to dance. She knew he didn't necessarily like it, and she gave it up. Stiles shook his head, looking down to his shoes. Dammit, he sighed. 

   The tune got quiet and another upbeat song started, causing the crowd to separate their pairs and dance to the new song. Stiles cursed again at himself, because that was definitely the last slow song of the night, since the dance was almost over.

   A laugh caught the both off guard as Liam, Hayden, Scott and his date gigged as they joined the couple once more, oblivious to the mood. Stiles watched Y/N as she attempted to join in the conversation, giving short smiles to everyone. He sighed, and wondered just how he could fix this.

____________________________

  Standing around Lydia's car, the group all talked and laughed as the students and facility filed out of the gym, leaving for the night to do God knows what. It was still dark, and probably around 12 at night. Liam and Hayden had already left, due to her curfew, and Lydia was yawning a storm. Malia said goodnight to the group, before walking to her new car (which adorned a nice white scratch on the side from when she had gotten a little too close to a mailbox once). Scott, Stiles, Lydia, and Y/N were left, the four reminiscing the memories of the night and how it was really unbelievable they had made it this far. 

   Half an hour later, Lydia finally caved in and said goodnight, yawning once more as she got into her car, driving out of the parking lot. All that was left was the jeep and Scott's motor bike, the trio standing inbetween.

  Scott now felt a  bit strange, keeping the couple from being alone, and decided he was going to get some leave and get some sleep, but not before sending Stiles a subliminal wink. Stiles rolled his eyes and waved bye to Scott. The engine roared and Scott road out, leaving the two to walk to the Jeep.

   Y/N's shoes clicked against the concrete, silently walking to the passenger side. She sighed and turned to look at Stiles, who was staring at her, hands in his pockets as he still stood feet away from the Jeep.

  "Are you coming?" She gave him a small smile. Stiles kept his gaze on her for a little before responding.

    "Not without one slow dance with my girl."

 Stiles pulled out his prepared phone and hit play, the sound of a slow song instantly coming out of the tiny speakers. He carefully set it on the hood of his Jeep and gave Y/N a nervous smile, before holding out his hand. Y/N was speechless and it gave her a couple seconds of listening to the music before she smiled with slight tears in her eyes, walking over towards Stiles.

   They met and Stiles took her hand, placing it on his shoulder as her other hand did the same, before placing his hands on her waist, resting just above her hips. And, finally, they began swaying.

   "I thought you didn't want to dance?" Y/N spoke, but it came in a small whisper. Stiles sighed and shrugged.

    "Well, I figured with this- you get your dance, and I only have to embarrass my self in front of one person." He looked down to her, smiling. Y/N let out a small giggle, shaking her head.

   "You're not a bad dancer." Y/N raised her eyebrows, smiling. Stiles chuckled, rolling his eyes.

 "Only for you." He gave a quick wink. The two began laughing again, and Y/N let her forehead rest on his chest, relaxing into the comforting feeling.

    "I love you, Stiles. I hope you know that." Y/N spoke up, after a few moments of silence. Stiles' heart warmed and he smiled down at the girl leaning against his chest. 

   "Yeah, Y/N. I know." He nodded. "I'm sorry you didn't really get the dance you really wanted, during the actual song."

   Y/N shook her head, leaning away so she could get a good look up at him. "This- is way better than anything I could have ever dreamed of."

   "All in a days work." Stiles hummed, making Y/N chuckle. The laughs calmed and their eyes caught the others gaze, before flickering to lips. Both of them gave a knowing smile simultaneously, before meeting in the middle, pressing their lips together. Their lips moved in sync,  Y/N's hand finding their place on Stiles' jaw, holding him close.

   "Now, can we count this as one of my best moments?" Stiles spoke, smiling into their kiss. Y/N couldn't help but do the same, nodding a small bit.

   "It's up there, Stilinski. It's definitely up there."