Chapter 113

*Louis' POV*

"Blessing?" Is all I'm able to ask or say.

"I'm not asking for your blessing to marry her, not yet. I simply just want your blessing to be able to call your mother mine, and not have to deal with your disapproval." His hands tremble as he grabs his coffee that the waiter has just placed on the table along with my chocolate.

He wants to have my mother? Now that I know that he isn't just some ran so guy, I don't know what to think. I-I can't think straight about this, not now.

"I don't know what to say," I admit, this man should know better than to just throw all this shit at me and expect me to be able to make a final decision and change my mind.

Thomas nods his head, clearly taking my reaction in hand. His lips are flat and hands still trembling. I almost feel sorry for the man, almost.

"Could we maybe arrange something, like a dinner? You'll have time to think this through, and maybe even come to a conclusion during that time. We could also get to know each other more, I could introduce you to my daughter, if you'd like." He's quick at making a suggestion, almost as if he really wants this. Of course he wants this, who wouldn't? My mum is a beautiful woman, it'd be an honor for him to have her. But that's exactly why I'm being so cautious with this whole thing, I don't want her to get hurt again. Why is he single in the first place? Was he like my dad?

"I guess that could work, when would be have this 'dinner'?" I play around with the small, thin straw inside my hot chocolate, hoping it'll cool down that way.

"Monday. your mum and I were panning something for the both of us since it's Valentines day and all but I'm sure this would be better. The four of us, including my daughter, would have a chance to have an actual conversation for once. If we're lucky you'll get along with her, I'm sure you would." His smile covers his face, he seems to be into this idea of meeting each other. I'm a little hesitant on meeting his "family", but it wouldn't hurt to. Valentines Day is only a few days away, meaning this dinner will be over with soon. The only thing I'm worried about is if Harry has arranged something for the two of us that day. I don't want to plan this have to bail on whatever he has in store, unless he has nothing in store. Paris was good enough, doubt he'd actually plan something else.

"Sounds like a plan," I say, pulling my phone out of my pocket at the same time, "we have about twenty minutes to get back, guess we could use ten of those here wisely." I suggest. We could put the idea of talking about how my mum and him met aside, I'm sure he knows about my father, sure he should have a story behind his ex-wife.

We both sit at the table without saying a word for a few minutes, until I'm finally able to bring up the question I've been wanting to ask, "Why did you and your wife divorce? I don't mean to get into your old personal life, but I need to know. I wouldn't want my mum dating someone who got divorced or divorced by his wife for the same reason my mum divorced from my father." He's a bit hesitant in answering when he takes a sip of his coffee before answering. The small smirk on his face isn't too convincing if what he'll say is the truth.

"I never divorced from my wife," his voice is low and calm. He leans towards me a bit more and continues, "she died in a car crash a few years back." And at this moment I can feel my heart drop to the pit of my stomach. Out of everything I thought he'd say, this hadn't crossed my mind at all. The look on his face is hear wrenching, painful. I could almost swear his eyes are filling with tears but he's holding them back.

My initial reaction is to try to change or avoid the subject from going further, but I can't do that, "I had no idea, I- I'm so sorry for your loss." Saying that I feel like a complete jerk right now is an understatement. Luckily, Thomas doesn't say much about it, and continues on without a problem.