The Gene Mutation

Alexis' POV.

I showed the queen the report.

I had found out after the system had reported this to me.

Apparently, much like my old world, this world was about to undergo it's first transformation.

My previous world called it Gene Mutation.

It had taken over five thousand years before the previous world had even come remotely close to figuring out what made our cells mutate.

Eventually, we did find out, though.

A certain dormant gene hidden within the genetic code for millions of years had been awoken after all this time.

Along with this newfound development came the Demigods.

Demigods were humans who had awoken their genes and had ascended to a whole new level.

They had unimaginable power which enabled them to manipulate the world's elements and control them.

They could make updrafts of wind; allowing for flight, pull in hydrogen and oxygen before combusting it to form an explosive attack.

They could mould metals and form suits of armour that could be paper thin but nigh indestructible.

Oh, and along with this power, people had their lifespan increased.

It was up to 50,000 years at first, then it increased exponentially to near infinity the stronger your power.

Of course, what I had said might come as a great piece of news.

Imagine people with superhuman powers becoming common things.

But it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, no.

Governments broke down and money became null, throwing the world into chaos.

Furthermore, the gene mutation was not painless.

On contrary, it was so painful that no amount painkiller could nullify said pain.

Of course, at the start, people hoped for a less painful awakening but when it was discovered that the more pain you felt, the more power you'd obtain, people practically became masochists lusting for power.

I considered since I had awoken the power of ice, a particularly rare and strong one legendary for dealing with fast and slow Obivliates alike.

Oh, right.

I forgot to mention but alongside humans, flora, fauna and animals had mutated too.

Suddenly, without knowledge, we humans had been killed off, unable to pierce skin with a bullet.

The only thing that worked was nuclear weaponry and it would only be effective when they were in the immediate blast radius.

Radiation was completely ineffective.

These animals had gained some form of twisted sentience, as if remembering the suffering and horrible massacres we humans had done to them.

Burning them, cutting them, enslaving them.

They remembered.

And they were downright furious.

They lusted for the spilling of human blood-no, they demanded for it.

This date was July 15, 2040, exactly one week before the fated date.

To be honest, I had completely forgot about this date until the system had reminded me just a few days ago.