I Wish

Snow's POV.

'Clang!'

Al's phone dropped from her hands, colliding with the tiled floor.

"Al?"

"Your majesty?"

"...He's killed Nathaniel and Ashe."

Deafening silence descended upon us.

We knew exactly who that 'he' represented-The one who had left a permanent scar on her heart.

The man I hated with a passion above all humans.

"Impossible-He can't possibly..."

"He's been blessed by a god before. He can be blessed again."

"He defeated me once before I awakened." Alexis responded quietly,"He knows everything about me. I taught him everything."

"He won't be able to defeat us combined, irregardless of his powers. We will remain with your majesty until he has been dealt wit-"

"I'll be fine, Janet. I can deal with him." She replied firmly, yet I sensed the tremble in her tone.

I jutted my head, mouthing to the rest 'I got this.'

"Then...We'll leave you to it, your majesty."

"Thank you."

They left the room, the tense air diffusing almost immediately.

"Do you want me to accompany you?" I murmured in her ear.

She nodded wordlessly.

"Let's go to the balcony for some fresh air."

"OK."

We headed up, the wind blowing gently in our faces.

Alexis sat on my lap, my head rested on hers, simply enjoying each others' presence.

"I hate myself."

"So, so much."

I felt a sense of self-loathing well up inside me.

"Even after everything he's done to me and everything you've done for me, I still have feelings for him."

"..."

I felt a pang of jealousy strike my heart without warning-A serpent of envy coiling around my heart and tightening around it.

I quelled that feeling immediately-Knowing she'd feel it if I didn't.

Even after everything he had done-His good points somehow still outweighed his bad parts.

"It's just been a few months since you've moved on. It takes time to forget."

"Maybe."

"Besides, I'll work hard to make up what he failed in doing, so don't worry too much, alright?"

She bobbed her head wordlessly.

"You know, you worry too much sometimes, kitten."

"I hate it when things don't go my way so I try my best to make sure it does."

"I wonder what's inside that pretty head of yours sometimes. Even if we're soulmates, I can't see through you."

"I keep to myself."

"You don't have to."

"..."

"I've got all the time in the world."

"I hate it."

"Everything I stand for. Everything I've been aiming for-I hate it. I'm not a queen, I'm just some girl that got lucky. I'm not a military genius, I'm just a second rate copycat. I'm not someone with power, I'm just someone the gods took pity on and decided to save. I should have died four decades ago and yet."

"And yet they decided out of all the lost souls-To save me. And I've taken it all for granted. Not a single word of thanks to them has ever exited my mouth."

"I'm a worthless fraud. God, it's like I don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time. I'm a complete train wreck of a person and I should have-"

I covered her mouth.

"Close your eyes, kitten."

She complied.

"Deep breaths. In. Out. In. Out." I spoke rhythmically, her emotions cooling down.

"You don't need to talk. Just listen to me."

"You are Alexis Niko. Fifty-third empress of the obvliates. You took back Toanerth from the humans and you've driven the humans into a corner."

"The gods obviously saw something in you. They chose you for a reason."

I hugged her from behind, whispering in her ear,"And whatever that reason is, I'm glad they did. Because meeting you's the best thing that's happened to me."

"No amount of words will express how much I love you. It doesn't matter if you're worthless. You're worth more than any position, jewel or planet. I'd give up the universe for you."

Alexis' POV.

My vision blurred.

Huh?

Why am I...

I teared up-Unable to comprehend the mismatch of unending feelings that collided with each other like tidal waves crashing together.

"Smile a little more, kitten. If not for yourself, for me?"

"O-okay."

I felt something in my heart.

A little more space had been used up.

The mark on my shoulder glowed dimly, a sense of familiarity filling me as I collected myself.

"Gosh," I wiped away my tears,"I'm such a crybaby."

"Cry all you want. I'll share your pain, your sadness, your anger. Everything. If you ever feel down, just come to me, remember that."

I leaned back, my back pressed up against his chest, staring up at the starry night sky.

I squinted and saw-

"It's a shooting star." I whispered.

"Hm? You mean meteoroids?"

"Back on earth, it's a myth that says when you wish upon a shooting star, your wish comes true."

"Is that so?" Snow looked up at the star streaking across the vast expanse,"Then I wish you'll be happy forever."

"Even if that happiness doesn't lie with me, all I want is for you to be happy. What about you?"

I wish...

I wish for a happy ending.

A peaceful life where there's no more fighting and bloodshed, just quiet days where I can spend time with Snow.

That's all I want.

For all these horrible things to end.

"I've made a wish." I whispered to myself,"I've to work hard to make it a reality. Just like how Tiana worked really hard for her restaurant."

"What did you wish for?" Snow asked softly, face pressed against my hair.

"It's a secret." I answered,"Wishes come true more often if you keep it a secret."

"Then forget everything I've just told you."

I giggled,"Sure."

We sat in silence.

My mind slowly drifted as my eyelids got heavier and heavier.

No longer to keep them open-They shut tight.

I felt comfortable.

Safe, secure, loved, treasured.

That alone was enough to make a girl happy for a lifetime and a half.