Martyr

Reishard's POV.

Around twenty days had passed since we located Alexis' location.

"Reishard. Hold." The general stopped me just as I was about to exit the camp and claim the crystals.

"General?"

"I've just received a report." The general chuckled,"We've gotten lucky this time."

"What are you talking about general?"

"It seems the increased weaponry has managed to force a retreat...Looks like their little empress is hoping for a surrender."

"..."

"Their resources. It's been stretched to the limits and they've got no foothold in the new dimension. Heh. Check."

"..."

"Never mind. Alexis' priority is second to this. Only initiate the plan if ours fail. And, go tell your rag tag bunch that their services are needed."

"What are you planning general?"

"They're doing it covertly. They think we don't know." He was smirking,"The information shows that we'll outnumber them 2:1 in just a matter of weeks. We initiate a strong punch through the weakest link, the direct front. They'll be focusing on defending the sides and not the front. We'll need your group to break Grand Duke Wallachia. You'll coordinate with the other two and head the fight."

"What if this is false information?"

"False information?" The general looked smug, raising his phone.

"A personal message to the general by Alexis Niko. She's in captivity. Maelstrom's planning on using her as a hostage. But the information...It should be good enough."

I got his message immediately.

"You want to ditch her? Leave her to die after all she's done to get this information to you?"

"It's a war Reishard. Not sentimental tear jerking. You do well to remember you're fighting for Careshia. Not your team. I've seen too many good men fall to the side in grief. If this works out, we'll be on the road to success. Besides..." He passed me his phone, playing a recording.

A barely audible voice of a woman sounded, "General, Alexis. Blitz. Tortured, Maelstrom. Hostage. Obvliate retreating at Bcx. Recouping from loss...At...New dimension...Don't save me. Will be weakest at 23rd next month. Only one third staying. Use me as martyr. Raise troop morale. Tell Blitz I enjoyed the month I- Coming. Must go. Beep. Beep. Beep."

The audio ended with a metal door being opened.

"She's volunteered herself. Revered as a heroine, what do you think? A brilliant strategy, isn't it?"

"...Is the audio credible?"

"This is my personal number. No one but a select group of people know it. And even if they do, they will never dare reveal it." The general handed me ten crystals.

"Then..." I resigned myself, internally apologising to Alexis,"I will follow your orders, general."

"Poor girl." The general shook his head,"Acting so brave even after her heart's been broken by a man. I guess this is her way of giving him the middle finger." I heard the general say as I walked out,"Don't worry Reishard. I'll make her the greatest heroine of mankind. Her message will be broadcasted to the world. She will be a martyr. The greatest one."

The others were waiting.

"So? The crystals?" Jace asked.

I passed it to them,"Here are the crystals. But. We won't be saving Alexis."