I Prayed

Alexis' POV.

The sword slid through the skin, the flesh and crashed into the bone, crushing it.

I kept relatively calm, not feeling an ounce of enjoyment from it as I removed my sword, a fountain of crimson blood spurting from the stump and off the platform.

These people liked violence.

They could handle people being hurt.

But death?

No.

None of these people had ever seen death before.

"There was a contract to be honoured, Deus Liberia." I picked up the head contorted in a mixture of agony and pure hatred and raised it for the crowd to see.

"An eye for an eye." I threw the head off the platform, along with the body that was still bleeding, a red puddle forming at the bottom.

Slashing the blade into the air, the blood dripped away and I retracted it back into a handle.

"Sovereign. If you're not a coward, take on someone who isn't helpless."

———

Antonio's POV.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked Sapphire who had just woken up.

"Yeah. Just a little fatigued."

"Rest well then."

The door opened, Alexis entering.

"I'm sorry." It was the first thing she said as she bowed deeply.

"Al?"

"I caused this. If I hadn't provoked-"

"It's not your fault." Sapphire shook her head,"Don't worry about it. I'm fine, right?"

"But you-"

"We get dangerously injured all the time. It isn't my first."

"I-"

"Don't blame yourself Al. No one blames you." Sapphire gave a warm smile to reassure her.

"She's perfectly fine. Good as new, I swear." I crossed my heart,"Stop being worried, alright?"

Her eyes wavered when they met mine.

Every time something happens, she blames herself.

Every time someone does something, she immediately thinks the worst would happen due to her actions.

Why couldn't she see herself like I saw her?

Like how everyone saw her?

"Up next is Antonio Giovanni against the Sovereign, the mightiest king!"

"You go. I'll be here." Alexis motioned with her head.

"I'll see you later. Love you." I pecked her cheek before leaving.

———

I stepped onto the platform, looking straight at him.

Even if I lost, I had to try.

For Alexis, for Gallium.

"Antonio...Giovanni?" He raised up both hands,"Let's talk."

I frowned,"..."

"I have...A proposition."

"You see, I am a person who gets what he wants. I abhor not getting my way." He smiled as if with no evil intent.