The Sanctuary

Maddox's POV.

'Do it and do it perfectly.'

That's the motto this sanctuary has taken up in memory of one Alexis Niko.

Well she's not dead but...God knows where she is.

Three years ago, Alexis Niko disappeared off the face of this earth and the world has taken a turn for the worse.

Well, it isn't all bad.

We managed to get society functioning and up and running again but Obvliates are getting stronger while we are stagnating.

People tried to break the contracts set by Alexis but found themselves unable to betray me due to a clause they found in the contract stating:

Alexis Niko will have rightful ownership, when not around, it will be followed by Antonio Giovanni then Maddox Carnegie and Elizabeth Alexandra Mary.

I didn't remember reading out such a clause and neither did the rest.

Then, I remembered something Antonio had told me when we were chatting.

Alexis' power is illusion, aptly named Loki, allowing for her to manipulate our five sense and I realise at that very moment two fundamental things.

One, she tricked us.

Two, she places me as a person as important as a queen but not a close friend.

Hey, my charms worked somehow.

I'm considered an acquaintance, at the very least.

So far, we have established seven sanctuaries, the one James held had fallen already.

"...So, for today's discussion...We have a oncoming problem." I start,"Miss Elizabeth?"

She nods,"We have established a society but people are starting to act out against us. We must cement our powers."

I nodded, the sanctuary I was in had some weird power that made people fear it but as for other places, they had to use force to ensure and enforce rules.

People were getting rowdy and power-hungry with their new powers and got greedy due to a year of peace having unlocked their powers due to Alexis.

They view her as messiah, a messenger of god-No, an incarnation of one.

But us?

They see us as nothing more than people grabbing onto the coattails of Alexis, struggling for her power and her influence.

They view us as the enemies of Alexis Niko when in actuality, we're the opposite of it.

Far from it, we can't even do things that negatively impact her.

I shake my head,"That's just one problem. As you might have noticed, the Obvliates are getting stronger and grouping up. Their intelligence is soaring. So I consulted a few scientists and they all said this meant one thing. A great filter."

"Great filter?" General Horndale asked confusedly, as did the rest.

"A great filter is something scientists studying life have come up with. They are trials that have happened to us and are the reason why alien life does not exist. Up to a few years ago, there were two possibilities. One, the great filter is behind us, meaning we are closer than ever to reaching a civilisation that can harness the energy of a galaxy-to simplify."