Chapter 21 - What it means to love me Pt. 1

You didn't count the hours, or minutes, you needed to explain every little detail about your plan. Erwin and Levi just sat there before you at the dining table and listened in silence. From time to time they nodded, to assure that they're still listening, but that didn't make it easier to talk. More the opposite. With taking longer breaks between sentences, you longed for an answer, a question, even a word of scolding would've been fine, but for fuck's sake they should talk already! This silent listening bugged you to no end. They both gave no hints of their true emotions right now. The moment when you finished talking, exhaling long and harshly through your mouth, you slumped back in your chair, your eyes fixed on your folded hands in your lap.

"Wow...I had absolutely no idea that you're capable of that. Seems like we both underestimated you, sweetheart." Erwin finally broke the silence as he rubs his eyes with two fingers before he uses his whole hand to run it through his hair, messing it up a little.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I know there was a big risk behind this, and I know that it would've been better to talk to you about this, but I feared you might disagree, or worse, forbid me to act and locking me up." Your answer was honest. You really feared that Erwin might react like that. Your father did this multiple times during your childhood when you came up with stupid ideas and the result was always getting locked up in your room. That marked your personality and is still tormenting you. Erwin jumps um from his seat in a swift movement, slamming both hands on the table once you said what's on your mind.

"I would never do that! And Levi either! You might've acted reckless and risky, but its the result that counts. You're safe, Petra will finally get her punishment. It's useless to think about what could've possibly been and the most valuable part in here, you and Levi can make up. Right, Levi?" Erwin spoke in a dark, threatening tone at the smaller, dark-haired man, shooting him a glare in unison with a shove against his shoulder.

"Yes," Levi replied inaudible, nothing more but a whisper. You expected from Levi to yell, to scold you, even to just click with his tongue at you and Erwin. Now, after you finished your explanation and after he heard what your intention was, that you only wanted to get rid of Petra once and for all to assure that Levi and you will be safe, that you can continue your relationship in peace and finally focus on what tomorrow might bring, he became smaller and smaller in his seat, if that's even possible. He almost looked like a kicked puppy. But he definitely won't get away with a simple apology. If he thinks he can just say "Sorry" and that's it, he is terribly wrong. The apology is long overdue, every person in this room knows that. The air in here is so thick from the rising tension, that you can almost cut it with a knife.

Erwin, being the smart and wise man he is, recognized the situation as he walks around the table to your seat, helping you standing before he pulls you in a tight hug, one arm wrapped around your waist while the other one pressed your head against his shoulder. His face buried deep in the small of your nape, his breath hitching several times. Is he crying?! You listened for a few moments, but you heard no sobbing or whining from him. He's definitely not the type for shedding tears. That one time when you went dancing and dining together was more than enough. You want to see him smile, his calm and cheering face that can easily compete with the sunshine and chase away the dark clouds from your mind with one gaze. His embrace grows tighter around your frame once you returned it with the same affection. With ease, he lifts you from the ground, clinging one of your arms around his broad shoulders while the other one tangles in his soft blond locks. The closeness of him, the unjudging and tender hug that says "It's okay. I'm here" takes a huge load from your heart and soul as a long sigh escapes your mouth.

"Please stay here tonight, Nina. I can't stand the thought of letting you go. And if Levi refuses to let you sleep in his bed, please come to me. I want to be sure that you're okay." You nod a "Yes" to Erwins soft murmured request before he lets you down again. You hear him sniffing once while wiping his cheeks. It seems that he's fighting very, very hard to hold back his tears. If from sadness or relief, you can't tell, maybe both, since you feel the same. Erwin takes a few deep breaths before he straightens himself again.