Chapter 36: The price to pay Pt. 3

Two days later, almost nothing had changed as well. On Tuesday, I had fought my way up to the doctor to be able to present a medical certificate to my boss, but as soon as the door to my apartment closed behind me I reverted to my previous behavior.

I barely slept, ate even less, and my skin was pale and lackluster. I didn't even notice if my stomach was growling from hunger. In any case, I no longer felt hungry anyway. I looked terrible and felt more terrible every day.

Another reason why I didn't want to leave my apartment.

Erwin hadn't even reported once in all the time. He hadn't even read the messages I sent.

The feeling that he had lied to me too all the time crept over me more and more. All the sweet-talking, the kisses, the promise that we will somehow make it, together. With each day that passed without an answer, the all-consuming fear of being betrayed again grew in me.

I rolled over and stared out of the window with heavy, aching eyes. My couch has become my new bed in the last few days because I couldn't bring myself to enter my bedroom.

I felt worse today than usual. Every single bone in me hurt, every muscle, every movement made me flinch.

I couldn't even say exactly where it hurt the most, because everything was one painful lesion.

Exhausted and with an empty, veiled look, I pulled the thin fleece blanket over my head, hoping to get some sleep, but seconds after I had done so, my cell phone vibrated with an incoming call.

Startled, I jolted up and grabbed the buzzing device.

It was Erwin!

Finally a sign of life! Relief filled me when I hastily accepted the call.

"Yeah? Erwin? Finally ... I was very afraid that you- "

"Hey, baby. Please forgive me for not reporting until now, but there was no other way. I haven't been at home for the past few days and didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't answer. I'm so sorry baby. How are you?"

I sighed loudly and heavily into the phone.

"What do you expect? I feel like shit. I mean, really. "

"So, this means that the thing we feared about had happened?"

"Yes..."

"Sorry. I shouldn't have asked. You must have suffered a lot, my poor little one. Can I do anything for you? Should I come over?"

"No ... I don't really want to have anyone here right now. But ... could we meet for training as usual? I really need the distraction. "

Silence on the other end. Erwin also sighed loudly into his device.

"It's actually not a good idea. My health isn't the best and I am not allowed to do any sport. I also have a lot of work to do here at home. Levi and I ... we kind of had an argument and a few things broke down in the process."

Shit. So it was actually like I feared. I'm sure Erwin's quiet voice hid more than he wanted to show through.

Do I really want to know what happened?

"But if I take your condition into account, a little training and distraction may be just the thing, but I can only come later. Do you want to start with Mikasa and wait until I join? I can at least support you mentally and emotionally, okay? "

"Yes, it's okay. Better than not seeing you at all. I need you now, you understand? "

"Of course, baby. I have already promised you that I am there for you and will stay with you for whatever you want. Whether as a friend or something else, it's your decision in the end. "