Chapter 19 - A choice with regrets Pt. 3

~~(I know its Levi on the picture, but it fits so perfectly the imagination about how Erwin is holding his girl while sleeping <3)~~

"Then, please. Please tell me finally why everyone is freaking out about this crazy woman. I can't hold out much longer. Haven't I suffered enough in my life? Haven't I shed enough tears for the last years? I don't want to feel like this any longer. I don't...I don't want to be lonely ever again. I need him...And I need you." Her voice was shaking and weak, sore from all the screaming and crying. With a low breather, Erwin kisses her forehead without ever stopping to caress her back and head to comfort her.

"I know, darling. That's why I'm here. To stand by your side in this dark moment. And to give you the answers you're longing for and you deserve. Do you want to know why everyone was so overprotective about you since Petra arrived? Why we act so strange and why Levi changed into an asshole? I will tell you..." He takes a deep breath and presses Nina's body closer to him, afraid of letting her go.

"It all started a few years back. Eight years, when I remember correctly. This was the first time Levi and Petra met. They got along very well at first. She didn't care about his fucked up past or his cold acting, just like you do. This affected Levi positively, but not enough to fall in love with her. They had one night, that's it. But it was enough for Petra to believe that he loves her the same way she does with him. She became very clingy and started to follow him everywhere. This got so far that she started to stalk him. She observed him with glasses from afar, rifled through his garbage and even took photos of him when he wasn't aware. And if this wasn't weird enough, she started to scare away all women Levi tried to come in contact with. She threatened them and said humiliating things, just as she did with you. But when some women won't react to this, she became more dangerous. Even I couldn't foresee what she was able to do. When the one-night-stand with Petra was two years old, Levi finally found a woman he could love truly. And it all went pretty well. They loved each other deeply and did everything for each other."

"Yes. Yes. I got it. They were SO deeply in love. And what about Petra?" Nina asked impatiently and visibly pissed that Erwin dared to talk about one of Levi's ex's in her presence.

"I'm sorry dear. I got carried away. As for Petra...Well. Let's say she became jealous. Very. VERY. Jealous. After she observed the couple long enough, she terrorized Levis girl wherever she could. Writing scary letters with death threats, calling her at home and hanging up again before someone could answer, sending her packages with dead animals inside and even writing humiliating things with animal blood on her apartment door. It was really frightening. Levis girl endured it as long as she could, but one fateful day, she gave up and got so deeply depressed by all of this, that she took a whole box of sleeping pills. Levi found her and called the ambulance, but it was too late. She died on the way to the hospital. And she didn't even leave a letter behind where she explained her actions. Useless to say that Levi was far beyond crushed because of this. He did the only thing that he was good at: he took all the blame on himself. That he wasn't strong enough to protect her and that he wasn't there when she needed him the most. But deep inside, he knew that Petra was the real reason why. But unfortunately, there was not enough evidence to prove her guilty. Levi wanted her to be punished for her cruel crime, but he did nothing to make that happen.

He knew about the hopeless situation and without any pieces of evidence to prove her guilty, there was nothing we could do. I tried my best to comfort him and to be there for him in this hard time. But when he still was in deep grief about his lost love, we quickly packed everything together and arranged a full move-out in just one week. We found this penthouse, planned and packed everything as fast as we could and then, in the middle of the night, we left our former home. This was six years ago. Six years of peace where Levi was able to calm down and to forget about what happened back then. And now, after half a year since you came into our lives, his own past is overtaking him again. And he surely fears that the same will happen to you again, now that Petra has found us. Do you understand now? Why we acted the way we did and why he chased you away by saying all these mean things?" Erwin ended his story and it got awfully quiet in the living room.