Chapter 24 - Hard to say goodbye Pt. 3

"Here. That's my key to the penthouse, so you don't have to ring on the doorbell every time. I borrow it trustfully to your hands, so I expect you giving them back to me once I'm home again. Don't lose it, or you'll lose your head, got it, brat?"

You're speechless. Levi hands you the key to his home, to come and go as you please as if it's your own home. With shaky hands, you reach out to grab the keys, afraid Levi might take it back any moment.

"Thank you, Levi. I promise I will look out for them, and for Erwin. Someone has to be the mature one while you're away."

"Tch, you have no idea how right you are, brat." He mused, with a little smirk. Looks like you hit the nail on the head. As you pack away the keyring into your pocket, the door to Erwin's room sways open to reveal a fully and neatly dressed Erwin Smith, with accurately combed and styled hair, shaved beard and fresh-looking expression. That's much better and much easier to look at, even though the view was still gorgeous. He's such a handsome specimen, and he knows that. That's what makes him so dangerous.

"I hope you left some food for me, guys." Erwin took his usual place after he poured himself a mug of coffee.

"Tch. Of course. You think we're as greedy as you?" Levi rolled his eyes, looking back to his phone and eating the last piece of his buttered toast. Now it was time for you and Erwin to take over control of the talking, like many times before, but this time, mostly to discuss how and on which days you're going to spend your time here. Since it's your last week of vacation, Erwin and you agreed that you stay here until work starts for you again, after that, you will go to your own apartment and only come over after Friday's regular training with him. After this plan was settled and blessed from Levi, you finished breakfast, cleaned up the table and get dressed to bring Levi to the airport.

Since the moment when you sat down in the car, a strange feeling began to grow in the depths of your stomach. It wasn't hunger or nausea, but it was uncomfortable anyway. When Erwins Audi left the underground parking lot, and the closer you came to the airport, the feeling grew and grew.

The whole long route, the only sounds hearable were the engines steady and low roaring. None of you said a word, the tension in here was almost tangible.

When you reached the parking lot of the airport, Erwin parked right in front of the main entrance, for quick unpacking and leaving. Levi was just about to get out when Erwin patted his forearm to make him turn around again.

"Levi. Take care of yourself and come back safely. Good luck." Erwin reached out his hand for a shake, and without long musing, Levi took it in a firm shake.

"Thanks, Erwin. Look our for Nina while I'm away. Wish you a good time." Such friendly words from Levi towards Erwin...you can't remember the last time when he spoke such words! You thought this is maybe because of Levis long absence and that Erwin doesn't want to let his roommate go without any last friendly words, but that would be wrong. You tend to forget that these two men share a common past and went through a lot together. That's maybe the reason why they act with each other like they do at home and share friendly and deep emotional acts once something big is about to happen. Just as now.

With a hum, Erwin released Levis hand to let him go, that's your keyword to give Levi your own farewell.

As soon as Levi slammed the trunk lid closed, you jump out of the car to join his side, walking inside the big main hall of the airport next to him. On the big screen where all flights are shown, you searched for Levis flight. Next one to London was about to board in 1 hour. This should be enough time to stay here a little longer, but unfortunately, it's not. This one hour is also including the boarding time they need to store the luggage and book in every single passenger until everyone has to be on his place inside the plane. This means Levi has to hurry.