Chapter 35: Is this...the end? Pt. 2

Indeed. Shit was the right word. Once more I fought with my urge to cry. Two confessions in one evening were definitely too much for me.

"But Erwin ... the worst is I think Levi misunderstood it."

"Misunderstood? What do you mean?"

"I wanted to tell him that I ... have feelings for you. I really wanted to, but ... he gave me no time. He kept interrupting me or didn't want to listen to me, and now he thinks I'm the victim here and you have sexually assaulted me in some way. He puts all of the blame on you. I swear I didn't want this! Please believe me! I did not want that."

"Shh, shh, shh. I believe that you didn't want it. Either way, Levi would have believed that everything was my fault. So please don't worry about it. I can hear that you are already dying on the inside, so don't blame yourself. "

Erwin's disarming kindness warmed my battered heart and a pleasant feeling filled me. It fought the overshadowing fear and resulting nausea and helped me to calm down a bit.

"Erwin, what should I do? What about you? Levi was so angry, I have never experienced anything like that. I ... I was so scared. "

I heard Erwin gasp at the other end.

"Nina ... did he hurt you?"

Pardon?

"Oh..uhm ... no, he didn't. Even though I don't like to admit it, I thought for a moment that something would happen. "

"Phew... I'm glad. I already expected the worst. I am relieved to hear that he didn't harm you. I swear if Levi would've raised his hand against you!"

"Erwin, stop it! I don't want to and I shouldn't even think about it. Do you really believe Levi would do that? "

"Believing? No. Suspecting? Most likely. Levi is a very ... emotional person. Much more emotional than you think and much more emotional than he's willing to show. He is guided by his feelings rather than his mind, and that has brought him into a lot of trouble. Do you remember the incident where he beat up the guy who got too close to you in the city? The one who bullied you in your school days? "

"Yeah, yeah. But can you really compare that? "

"Yes, you can. Levi is not the type who does half-heartedly. Believe me, I know him longer and better than anyone else. I can't imagine what will happen now, but if he is actually as angry as you say, it will be uncomfortable. "

"Erwin! Do not say that! Let me help somehow! Please, I can't let you go through this alone. " I pleaded.

"No, dear. Not this time, and not here. You would only be in our way and a distraction, please understand that. You help me the most when you stay there where you are. Safe and sound. I will try to bring Levi to his senses and explain everything to him. As soon as the waves have smoothened, I'll call you right away, okay? "

I took a few deep breaths and wiped the tears away with my sleeve as I considered Erwin's words. In fact, I would really be nothing but in their way. I don't like to imagine what happens when these two meet.

I shook my head to banish this thought. I didn't want to think about it.

"Alright. I stay here. But please get in touch as soon as possible, right? "

"Promise. Whatever happens here today and no matter what comes after: My feelings for you will remain. Never forget that. Together we can make this happen. "

"Don't say that, Erwin. You sound like the world is about to end any moment. "

"Ha! Who knows. If the black-haired tornado sweeps through this house any moment, I at least want to make sure that you know that I'm serious about my feelings. "