Chapter 35: Is this...the end? Pt. 3

That was the moment when the real fight started when they both finally got serious. When both of them rushed towards each other with overwhelming power, all the pent-up anger, all the emotions that had been boiling in their bodies for so long, everything unloaded into their muscles, their nerves, pushed them, drove them on like a terrible drug, took control over their actions and thinking - and both men let it happen.

Fists flew through the air like bullets, delivering blows and blocking them, legs as strong as thick branches tried to step away from each other, kicking against hips, kicking into their upper body. Loud growls, groans, roars.

Both men gave absolutely everything. Erwin's fist hit Levi in the face and the first drops of blood hit the floor, staining it. In return, Levi kicked Erwin's legs, lost his balance and crashed into the dining table, which finally collapsed under the weight of the tall, muscular man when he landed on his back with full force.

The vase that previously stood on top shattered, small fragments bored into Erwin's hands and forearms as he supported himself to get up again, but he hardly noticed the pain, did not notice how the deep red liquid flowed from his veins and mingled with Levi's on the floor.

Soon the whole floor was covered with blood, smeared, white walls stained with stripes of red ... It was a massacre without murder and perpetrators, but they continued to fight undeterred until one would give up or was finally laying defeated in the dirt.

A shelf fell over when Erwin pushed Levi against it, books fell out and scattered across the floor. The stool next to the couch, on which Nina sometimes likes to sit when she looks out of the window, was knocked over when Levi rammed his elbow into Erwin's ribs and he tumbled to the side.

They insult themselves, they scream, yell, they offend and mock themselves, they hit, kick, scratch, push. They hurt each other, physically and mentally. In this horrible moment, there was nothing left of the intimate friendship and years of camaraderie they once shared, both degenerated into lower animals that fought for a female during the mating season.

Levi's shirt tears open as Erwin grabs him by the collar with both hands, throws him around and lifts the smaller man up to press him against the wall, only to make Levi head-butt him, splitting Erwin's right eyebrow open, whereupon Erwin growled in pain and anger, tumbling back before he sank to the floor, his vision blurred and distorted by the red of his own blood.

Levi takes advantage of this moment and charges with all his strength, with his entire body towards Erwin, throws him to the ground as two hands tightly wrapped around Erwin's throat, squeezing his windpipe, choking his former comrade as he pushed him to the ground.

Panicking, desperately gasping for air, Erwin frantically groped for something to free himself from his situation and he picked up a book that had fallen off the shelf in the course of the wild brawling and hit it violently against Levi's temple, which ultimately forced him to let go of Erwin, his world turning black for a moment.

Erwin took advantage of this moment and crawled away from the black-haired man, panting heavily, coughing, gasping for breath as he struggled to stand up. Leaning against the kitchen island with his back, he finally had a moment to breathe and to calm down and perhaps defuse the situation. Both were injured, bleeding, the apartment was like a battlefield and Erwin slowly felt the pain of his injuries, the cuts, kicks, and punches, just like Levi, who could now see clearly again and immediately looked for the man who, in his opinion, was responsible for all that'd happened. His anger had subsided somewhat, the excess energy had faded and evaporated, but the reason why he felt such fury was still there, reminded Levi why he was here and why he treated his former friend and roommate like a lower being.