Chapter 38: Beacon of Hope Pt. 3

"Tch. Back then, it was. All I wanted and cared about was to let out this relentless anger."

"That's still NO reason to beat the living shit out of your best friend which you also once considered as a brother. What happened after that 'heroic' act of yours?"

"Tch, I don't like the tone in your voice, Missy. I might be your cousin, but you're still younger than I. So drop that attitude if you want to know."

"Don't you dare to act like the big, caring bro now towards me, because you're ANYTHING but that, judging from what

I have heard so far. You deserve every single ounce of sarcasm and attitude I have in store! Now YOU drop your attitude and get on with it! What happened then? "

Mikasa was relentless and wasn't going to accept any excuse or prevarications from her cousin.

"Geez, you are such a pain in the ass, you know that? Someone heard our fight it seems and called the police and ambulance. I ran off before they could notice me."

"So you're really trying to tell me you left your WOUNDED and BEATEN friend behind without checking if he was fine? Or if he was even alive?! Wow...I never thought that you could pull off a bigger asshole-move than Erwin did."

"Shut the fuck up, will you?! I know that myself! And I already said I regret it. What else do you want to hear from me? That I'm a worthless coward and a hopeless wimp?"

"That would at least be a start, but we're digressing. Am I right when I say that you went back to Nina's place after that?"

"Yeah, you are. When I arrived at Nina's apartment again, I already began to doubt. When I saw her again, the inevitable misfortune took its course: I asked her whether it was true or not. If everything was she had told me before and everything Erwin told me was the truth, and she agreed. Can you even imagine, Mikasa, what I was going through at that moment? My best friend and my girlfriend confessed that they loved and kissed each other. For me, my whole world broke apart, and all I still felt was a deep, endless void. "

Levi paused, taking deep, slow breaths while rubbing the bridge of his nose. It almost seemed like he was fighting back tears.

"And yet Nina continued to insist that she loved me from the bottom of her heart, that she didn't know what was going on with her and how this could be possible, but almost every sentence ended with her loving me. I gave her a choice, either me or Erwin ..... and she hesitated. And then I knew everything I need to know, and I left her. The last words I said to her was that I thanked her for a great time and that I'll always remember it well. The last thing I heard was her heart-breaking cries of pain when I left her with a farewell."

"Levi ... that was cruel of you."

"I know. I did the most horrible thing to her, although I knew about her emotional and vulnerable heart. It's unforgivable."

Mikasa didn't respond this time. There was no need to. Levi knew himself that he fucked up badly and that the way he left her was the worst he could do. Mikasa despised him for doing this to her best friend, and now that she heard everything she needs to know, it wouldn't even surprise her if Levi was the reason why Nina's in the hospital.

A broken heart can rob someone of their will to live, in the worst cases, and with everything she'd heard, it fits all together.

Part of Mikasa wanted to just grab Levi by his collar and drag him towards the hospital, so they can make up and Nina can get better, hopefully, but the other part, the sane part, told her that Levi had done enough damage to her. The idea she had before all this suddenly seemed to have drifted away into oblivion.