Chapter 28: Absence increases the desire Pt. 1

After I hung up I instantly changed my clothes. I felt disgusting after sleeping in them the whole night, and I definitely needed a quick shower.

I needed a little more than the promised 30 minutes, but at least I was clean and had a good amount of make-up in my face to hide the dark circles. No need to give Mikasa reason to worry.

But when I arrived at the coffee-shop that'd become our favorite, - Trost District Beans – Coffee, Tea, and more-, I was greeted by so many familiar faces, that I just stood in the entrance like a slapped arse.

Mikasa, Eren, Sasha and Connie, Jean and Armin, even Ymir and Christa. They were all there, waving and smiling at me as Jean took the initiative to stand up and push me towards the table where a hot, steaming and BIG cup of my favorite tea was already waiting for me. A wink from Mikasa told me that this was her doing.

When I asked Mikasa out for a day off from training, I hadn't expected to become like...THIS!

"Damn, Mikasa! Seriously! How did you manage it to gather all our friends together in such a short time?!" I was shocked. I wasn't expecting the whole bunch of youngsters to gather here when I just asked for Mikasa. Not that I complain! I'm very happy that they're all here. It seems I'm still not used to it to have so many friends to stay in contact with. Still much to learn for me.

"Isn't that obvious, dearie? The reason why you called me let my alarm bells ring and I thought you could need more backup. I mean, since when do you skip training with Erwin? That new. Even for you. I assumed something might be wrong and here we are. Was a piece of cake." Mikasa explained, motioning with her arms around the table to assure me that they all are into this as well, ready for comfort or something else. Damn...Mikasa has no idea how right she is.

After the big and thorough greeting ritual, I sat down between Armin and Mikasa. They'd picked our favorite table. A big and round table in the corner by the windows with a matching circular-shaped bench, the lively and crowded shopping street right before our eyes to watch all the different types of humans, and sometimes animals, wandering around. The coffee-shop was kept in warm and comfortable colors, red, velvety fabric on the seats, light brown colored walls with white, unequal vertical flowing stripes for the contrast, and a very big counter table with a glassy front to look at the amazing selection of cakes and cookies. All handmade and so delicious looking, that I always end up salivating, even if I just ate a slice of it.

"So. How did you come up with the idea to skip training to hang out instead? Tell me. I'm curious." Mikasa finally broke the silence when she leaned over to me on her elbow, giving me one of her rare soft smiles. Useless to say that Jean was fawning over that simple expression instantly, but since everyone knows how Jean reacts to a beautiful woman around him, we ignored his fanboying sighs.

"Uhm. To be honest, I needed some well-deserved distraction. A lot of shit happened to me recently and I just have today and tomorrow before my vacation ends. I just wanted some time for myself, without anything on my schedule or so."

I tried to explain it rationally, without giving a hint that Erwin played a big part in this. Its none of anyone's business and since none of us knows where we stand, it's better to keep our lips sealed.

"No wonder! Look at these eye bags. You suffered enough lately, then it's only logical that you need some lazy time with your besties." That damn loose mouth of Sasha...always blurting out what better should be avoided mentioned.

"Sasha! That's not very polite! You don't mention a woman's bad look in public!" Christa scolded the brunette, who just scratched the back of her head with slightly pink cheeks.