Chapter 36: The price to pay Pt. 1

Levi P.O.V.

Suddenly everything was over.

I stood in the middle of the large living room, panting and huffing, chairs were overturned, the dining table was smashed, broken glass lied scattered on the floor ... and then there was all the blood.

The walls, the floor, the furniture ... everywhere there were drops or streaks of smeared blood, Erwins, and mine.

My shirt was torn, bruises covered my torso and places I couldn't see, but feel. My head ached, a bleeding laceration on the forehead was the reason. My lip was split and bleeding as well, breathing was difficult for me, my arms and legs; every muscle in my body burned painfully, and yet, despite all of this, I felt such a deep sense of pride, triumph, and euphoria that all the pain became meaningless.

My opponent, my adversary, and rival, Erwin Smith, lied on the ground to my feet: defeated.

In the middle of the sudden calm that reigned in here, I also felt how my consciousness started to reactivate. With every second that passed, I felt the adrenaline in my blood ebbing, the pain of the fight becoming more and more apparent, and above all, that my mind was becoming clearer again.

My logical side, the rational, sensible thinking side came back little by little, the pain brought me back to reality, made me understand and SEE what had happened here, and the more the image burned into my eyes, the less I could believe it.

Erwin and I have had arguments before, but all of them have so far only been of a verbal nature. It never ended ... like THIS, but when I thought of everything he said to me, about him and Nina ...

All I felt was an endless, deep rage, and in one moment it was like a switch was flipped in my head. I saw red, I wanted to get rid of this irrepressible anger, I wanted to live it out, but I had never wanted to hospitalize my roommate and friend.

Well ... former friend.

If there's even a hint of truth to what he said, he's not my friend.

How am I supposed to look him in the eyes ever again? After everything he did, after everything he said?

He had shamelessly used my trust and made a move on my beloved as soon as I was out of the country, and this is unforgivable.

No, I didn't feel sorry for him. He deserved this. Maybe not on this scale, but it did serve him well.

When I regained my breath a little, I went to the lifeless body at my feet, tapped his arm with the tip of my foot, but he didn't move. I did it again, a little harder this time, but still no reaction.

I began to worry about the blonde bastard. Erwin could take a lot, he was very tough and very hard to get down. I was all the more concerned when I still saw no movement from him after tapping the third time.

I crouched down, grabbed his shoulder, and turned him on his back.

"Shit ..." I breathed.

Erwin looked terrible. Was that really me ?!

His left eyebrow had split open, small drops of blood were still running out of the fresh wound while other areas were already crusting. His lip didn't look better either. He also had a black eye, and as my gaze went deeper down to his neck and half-exposed chest, where the torn shirt barely held, I only realized the extent of our struggle.

Reluctantly I reached out and pressed 2 fingers on his neck and I exhaled in relief when I felt a pulse.

"Tough like a bull," I murmured, but although I thought Erwin deserved it, I couldn't stop a subtle discomfort. A slight, gnawing discomfort to what I did to my former friend and comrade.