Charlie Puth; Why Am I Doing This?

You were at home tidying up the house. Your husband, Charlie, was away on a short North American tour.

Yes, you missed him, but you wanted him to do what he loved, music. However, this particular tour he struggled with leaving.

Just seven months ago you had given birth to two beautiful babies. Twins.
Garret Wesley Puth and Janae Mikaela Puth.

Charlie was wrapped around their fingers as were you. He hated leaving knowing he wouldn't be there for them or you for several weeks at a time.

You were cleaning the house after the twins were down for a nap when your phone started ringing. You go to the kitchen to find it and answer the call. It was a Facetime from Charlie. You answer it.

You: "Hey Babe, how are y-."
You look at the screen to find an exhausted looking handsome man.

"You look at the screen to find an exhausted looking handsome man

A tear slips down his cheek.
You: "What's wrong, Honey?"
You sit down on the couch.
He just stares at you for a moment.
Charlie: "Why am I even doing this?"
You just look at him, knowing there's more.
Charlie: "Like, I love my fans but they come no where near enough to continue this when I have you and my babies at home without me."
He stirs and shifts his position on the bed.
Charlie: "I feel like the fans deserve better from me, but you deserve better too. I feel like I'm in a lose-lose situation here."
You frown at the screen.

You: "Wait, let me grab something."
You put down the phone and go to your purse. You had printed some pictures of the babies to send to Charlie just yesterday. You thought they may cheer him up. You come back to the phone.
You: "Babe, I know what you are saying is what you are truly feeling. I get that you think you can't win, but there are two little people asleep in this house right now that need their daddy to show them hard work and dedication. I love you, Honey. I want you to keep doing what you love, even if it means I don't get you for myself. Trust me, I'm selfish enough at times, that's all I wish for..... But, if you came home right now would you be satisfied with yourself, or disappointed?"
He sighs.
You: "You and I both know the answer to that. So, keep your head up. These two..." You show the picture.

"They need you to keep your head up

"They need you to keep your head up. To keep loving what you do. I'll still be here, loving you the same when you come back. They'll still be here and excited to see you. Thousands of fans are waiting to see you for just a fraction of what we see you. As hurtful as that is for my desires, the fans have gotten you to this point, Babe. Even if you never do another tour again, you need to finish this one. And finish it well."
He is now sitting up and somewhat smiling at you.
You: "What?"
Charlie: "You're so good for me."
You smile.

Charlie: "You know just what to say and how to say it. I love you."
You: "I love you."
Charlie: "Can we talk about the possibility of strictly producing music when I get home?"
You: "We can do whatever you want Mr. Puth."
His eyebrows raise and he smirks.
Charlie: "Whatever I want?"
You smile.
You: "You heard me."
Charlie chuckles.
You sigh.

Charlie: "Can I see that picture again?"
You hold it up to the screen.
You: "I was getting ready to mail these to you as a surprise, but I figured you could use the cuteness in your life now."
Charlie: "Awww. They're so cute. Look at Garrett's face. You can tell he's cracking up."
You: "Yeah. You should have seen what I was using to get them to smile."
Charlie: "Let me guess, Mickey Mouse?"
You: "Nope. You remember the video I took of you making them laugh by fake laughing at them?"
Charlie: "Yeah." You could hear his smile in his voice.
You: "I pulled that up on my phone and had it playing as I took the picture."

Charlie: "Awww. I could just stare at them all day.... Move the picture."
You do.
Charlie: "Now put it next to your face facing the phone."
You do.
Charlie: "Smile."
You do.
He screenshots it.
Charlie: "Now whenever I'm feeling down I'll remember that I'll always have my support group cheering me on. Plus, that Mrs. Puth is kinda sexy."
He says the last part in a whisper.

You smile. "You're not too bad yourself, Handsome. Get some rest. I'll call you later when the babies are up."
Charlie: "Ok. I love you."
You: "And I love you."