Decoy

"Huh! so that's what was happening! That Sasuke and Koim, they are always in such a hurry!!" said Naruto as they were running through the forest "So?! how come you got involved? this is such a pain!" said Shikamaru as he looked at Sakura "I had no choice! it was Kakashi-sensei's command!" said Sakura "This way!" yelled Pakkun as he sprinted to the right.

Pakkun's widen as he can pick up Sound shinobi scents "Hey!! all of you, hurry up!" yelled Pakkun "Huh...? why?!" asked Naruto "There are two squads, that means eight shinobi! actually...plus one more...nine shinobi on our tails!" answered Pakkun, Naruto's eyes went wide not saying a word "Hey, already?! you've got to be joking!!" yelled Shikamaru "It doesn't look like they know our exact position yet...but they're definitely gaining on us, and guarding against ambush" said Pakkun "Darn! they're probably all Chunin or above...if they catch up to us, we're dead!" said Shikamaru, Sakura's eyes widened when he said dead.

"Darn it! then why don't we ambush them and get rid of 'em?!" asked Naruto "Ambush...might not be a bad idea..." said Sakura "If we lie in wait for them, they'll definitely have the upper hand! even if there are twice as many of them as us, as long as we surprise them..." "Nope, won't work. They're all minions of Orochimaru, a former Konoha Shinobi" said Pakkun "Feh...I thought we might have a chance, but I guess not..." growled Shikamaru "Huh?! why not? I don't know what you're getting at!" said Sakura "Yeah, what do you mean?!" asked Naruto.

"You are both so clueless! listen up! ambushing the enemy is normally an advantageous battle tactic, but only if there two essential conditions are met...first, the pursued must be able to move about silently and locate the enemy first! second, the pursued must be able to swiftly find, secure, and conceal themselves in a position where they can inflict the most surprise and damage to the chasers!! In our case...well, since we have a ninja dog's nose, the first won't be too difficult. But the second...the second normally wouldn't be impossible, since we know our own Village better...and can pinpoint the best positions for maximum surprise. But that won't fly against minions of a former Konoha Shinobi!" explained Shikamaru, Naruto looked at him confused "Our pursuers have studied our Geography and practiced in preparation for this attack with mock battle. And they're probably all masters of Pursuit Jutsu. Even so, an ambush might still be to our advantage...except that there are too many uncertainties!...a dunce...a kunoichi without any particular talent...a dog...and the number one slacker, me! you see, battle strategy...comes from comprehending your own existing fighting strength and formulating the best possible plan based on that!! and so, what's within the realm of possibility for us right now is just one thing..." explained Shikamaru.

"One thing...?!" asked Sakura "A diversionary tactic disguised as an ambush! one of us stays behind...and delays them by making it look like we're lying in wait" explained Shikamaru "In other words...a decoy..." said Sakura "That's right. If that person can detain them, the enemy will lose track of the other three...and we'll be able to shake the pursuit. However, the one who gets to be the decoy will most likely...die" said Shikamaru, Naruto, Sakura, and Pakkun stayed silent.

"So...any volunteers? we need our doggie guide in order to find Koin and Sasuke, which means..." said Shikamaru, Naruto and Sakura stayed silent as they looked down "All right, I'll..." "I'm the only choice..." said Shikamaru interrupting Naruto "You?!" asked Sakura "Why you?!" asked Naruto as Shikamaru grabs on to a tree and stands on it "It's better than all of us going down together. Besides, the only one of us who has any chance of pulling off the decoy act and even possibly surviving...is me" said Shikamaru as Naruto, Sakura, and Pakkun stood on tree branches.

"The Shadow Possession Technique is fundamentally a detainment Jutsu, anyways...well! I'll catch up with you all later...so hurry up and go!!" said Shikamaru "I'm counting on you!!" yelled Naruto as he, Sakura, and Pakkun went after Koin and Sasuke.