83

Krystal was in a coma, it fucked with me so hard, watching her there, immobile, Pale. It was unexpected for R.K. to be there with me, helping me come to terms. After observation they let Royal stay in an incubator in Krystal's hospital room.

I watched as the doctor wheeled her in. "Can I hold her?" I asked, croaky and stuffed up.

"Yes of course, skin on skin contact is important," she said, I nodded, looking at Royal in the incubator.

"She means you should take your shirt off and hold her," RK said.

"Oh right," I sniffled, wiping my nose with my sleeve and pulling it off. I noticed R.K. getting up.

"Where are you going?" I asked him quickly.

"Oh your I just figured you'd want to be alone-"

"Stay you fucking idiot," I said, glancing at Krystal. "We want you here."

I got up walking over to the incubator. We both stood towering over her, Royal was gurgling as we looked down at her.

"I can't hold her," I said quickly, "I think I'd break her-"

R.K. elbowed me. "Don't be stupid."

He looked at me seriously, I sighed and sniffed, picking Royal up from her blanket. I cradled her anxiously holding her close. My breath hitched as she started fussing.

"Shhh, shhh, its o-okay baby," I whispered. "Royal, Royal it's okay, I'm your dad," I cooed, then pausing in shock. "holy fuck I'm your dad."

She started to quiet down, R.K. looking over my shoulder. "Shes so pretty, she look like Krystal." He touched her arm.

"You do look like your mommy," I agreed, "And this is your uncle R.K.," I mumbled, smiling.

"Hi, you're so tiny," he waved, I glanced over at Krystal. She's gonna be okay.

"Your mommy's out," I told her moving up to the bed, crouching next to her. I put Royal on her stomach on Krystal's chest. R.K. rubbed my back, the comfort helping. I had no idea when Krystal would wake up, but I at the moment I also felt okay. I had something to hold onto, I have my baby and my friends.

I lent over kissing Krystal's head and rubbing Royal's cheek. Holy shit I'm a dad.

My Mom and Dad ended up returning a few minutes later from the cafeteria. They had brought me food which I gobbled down while they got to know Royal.

"I can't believe my son is a father," my dad chuckled looking at Royal.

"I'm a grandmother," my mom chuckled, she glanced up at Krystal. "How's she?" she asked me.

I felt like the life was sucked out of me having to answer that, I kinda froze staring at the noodles.

RK answered for me, "Doctor's said shes stable."

"Thank you," I mumbled, i fucked around with the fork. Krystal was missing this, Royal's first days.

i finished off the noodles, my mom gave Krystal back to me, and I cradled her in my arms for a bit, until she fell asleep, before I placed her with Krystal.

I ended up full on sobbing after a moment of silence, I'd never felt so weak, even when I thought I did it was nothing compared to this.