Chapter 98 -Final Trial: Recovering Hope (P.t 6)-

Lucky Guy's P.O.V: "?"

     As everyone around me started to argue nonstop, I couldn't hold back myself as I silently watched them argue again... 

     It was pointless. Too pointless to stop them... Why...? Why do I feel so weak to look forward to hope when I should be looking forward to despair? Why should I be given a chance when all I do is mess up? Why? Tell me... WHY?!

     . . . 

     Slowly, my eyes lifted up to see Mukuro, watching all the drama unfold beneath our eyes...

     . . . 

     Mukuro's strong, but not clever if she thinks she's going to win this trial over us... I just need to buy myself some time to think about how I can fully unite everyone together... It's the only way I can save their friendships!

     Hm, just thinking about it... Everything in my memory is nothing but blank... What if I can rearrange that? Would that help? I... I need to find out!

     . . . 

     Drowning out the noise from all around me, I closed my eyes tight before calmly opening them back up again, and the noise had immediately faded away... 

     I was back... I was back in my own blank memory... 

     But there's someone who I'm really looking forward to in my memory as I pictured a man named... 

     "Lucky Guy," a familiar voice called out to me, and I turned to look back. 

     To my surprise, it worked! 

     "Orpheus!" My smile lit up instantly at the sight of the young man. "Thank goodness you're here!" I rushed over to him in my memory. "Please, I need your help really bad!"

     "Oh? So you called me for help?" The detective stared back at me with a concerning look. "You do realize that this is all in your imagination, right? I'm not suppose to be--"

     "Yes, I know," I interrupted him before getting straight to the point. "But it's better if I have someone to talk to besides myself," I sighed sadly. "I just need to imagine what the world is going to be like without me..."

     "Why would you want that?" Orpheus raised his eyebrows at me. "Don't you think it's better just to know what the other's past was like?" He questioned. 

     "I don't think I could do that," I responded by shaking my head. "I don't have much of a talent besides being lucky, that's all."

     . . . 

     Sighing, Orpheus slowly walked past me and sat down on a comfy, red chair that appeared out of nowhere in front of me, and then he looked straight at me. "I think it's better if you sit down so we could talk more about your situation here, Lucky Guy."

     I nodded slightly and sat down on the chair that appeared right next to me. "But we better hurry," I reminded him. "I don't think I could waste any more time being here while the others are still arguing over their decisions."

     "Decisions on what?"

     "On choices we couldn't agree on," I let out a quick breath. "Mukuro has the upper hand in our situation, and I'm afraid that... That my friends won't make it if this continues on..."

     Pausing to think for a while, Orpheus then asked me, "Why do you care about your friends more than yourself? Do you... Not appreciate who you really are?"

     "Of course I do!" My eyes widened a little. "It's just that..." I gripped tightly on my shirt. "I don't want to believe that I won't make it out alive... I just... Have a really bad feeling about me letting the others down."

     He frowned. "Why would you think of something like that?"

     "Because," I shrugged. "I don't exist."

     . . . 

     "Can I tell you something, Lucky Guy?" Orpheus positioned himself to look at me from his seat. "I may be your imagination, but..." He began, "I won't ever lie to you, not in this memory, I won't." Then showing what he'd meant by that, he pointed at the blank background until it slowly began to light up, showing a real image of...

     "The Tragedy," I murmured as I noticed that there were many dead bodies with people killing each other... It was like another whole-new-level of despair that I've never witnessed before... "W-why are you showing me this?"

     Orpheus stood up from his seat and stared down at me. "Mukuro isn't lying about it, if that's what you're thinking," he confirmed. "If this memory of mine is real, then those memories of your friends who have them are real as well... Anything can happen."

     Staring at the brutal scenery of death, I looked away, picturing a rather peaceful image, and the background around me changed into the grassy fields with a sun shining above us. 

     "You're not going to accept it, are you?" Orpheus studied my gaze. "You're just going to force yourself to run away from this tragedy and accept death as your own?"

     "It's not like I'm forced to," I corrected the detective. "It's more like I need to view a different side from despair..."

     Giving me an odd glance at my direction, I sighed. 

     "Yeah, you're right," I admitted all of a sudden. "I'm running away from the truth, aren't I?" Then standing up, "I guess that's why Jose's right... I'm unlucky to be who I am..."

     There was a moment of silence as we stood there, unsure how to progress even further... 

     "So how are you planning to get the others back on track?" Orpheus challenged me into critical thinking. "Brainwash them?"

     "No way would I do that to my friends," I briskly answered. "If I could get them to go through this killing game again... Then it's better than risking most of our deaths on the other 2 options, don't you agree?"

     "I see your point right there," Orpheus looked away from a moment. "However, even if you guys are planning to go through this once again, there's still death, you know..." He paused. "Meaning your friends wouldn't want to risk themselves just to save you and the other side..."

     Right... I didn't forget about that part...

     "Then I would have to lie to my friends," I softly began. "I would have to lie to get them back on the right track..."

     "How does lying to them work like that?"

     I glanced around the background of my memory. "I'll have to show them a reason..."

     "Even if it means breaking their trust?" 

     "I..."

     "And also, how are you going to lie to them? It's not like they'll believe you 'that' easily..."

     Fortunately for me, an idea popped up inside my head...

     The only response I could give was, "Watch me." 

     . . . 

     It wasn't the thought that counts... It was something that I've never thought about before... And that's when I finally opened my eyes before wiping my tears away, and I shouted, "Everyone, close your eyes!" 

     Hearing my voice very clearly, everyone stopped arguing and stared at me in confusion and also with frustration. 

     "Excuse me?" Tracy beckoned with her hands at me angrily. "Did a rock just hit you or something? Or are you a crazy person?" She added. 

     "No, I'm not crazy," I replied, keeping myself as calm as possible. "Just close your eyes and think about those past memories you've all been having."

     "What are you--" Mukuro's starting to get really suspicious of me, but then I cutted her off by saying--

     "Just think of it as a memory trip!" I urged them. "Only this time, don't let those emotions get to you! I promise you guys, it'll be alright!" 

     To my relief, Freddy and the others glanced at each other warily before finally closing their eyes without putting much of a fight as to why they are doing this again...

     Thank goodness they didn't ask me why!

     . . . 

     After making sure everyone had closed their eyes, I finally closed mines as well, and the world around me went dark again...

     Unlike this time where I was in a complete darkness, I was able to fully connect with the others around me in this room...

     And I'm not going to allow Mukuro to stop me from convincing my friends! Even though it was very wrong of me to do so, it was the only way that I can think of that involves a force between hope and despair... Including the possibility of ruining our friendships because of this if they knew...

     "Vera," I called out the first name I could think of, and the image around me changed... I was no longer in my memory... I was in Vera's memory... 

     So this is how Mukuro must've gotten into my memory... How clever of her to do so...

     Vera was looking a little upset as she glanced at the scenery in front of her... And I could see why this was very disappointing for her...

     . . . 

     "You killed your sister," I spoke behind her, accidentally making her jump. Startled, she glared at me, but then her anger turned into confusion. 

     "Lucky Guy?" The perfumer frowned. "Is that really you or are you a part in my memory?"

     "Nope," I smiled gently. "Sorry to intrude, but," my smile slowly faded away. "This is the only way I could get to talk to each and every one of you in here... If you don't mind."

     Vera stared down uncomfortably. "This is like... An invasion of privacy here."

     "I'm sorry!" I made an awkward gesture for her to calm down. "Anyways," I glanced back at the scene that unfolded my eyes. "I know you didn't mean to kill your sister out for jealousy, Vera."

     The perfumer hesitantly met my eyes. "My name's not Vera," she sighed. "My name's Chloe and the one that I had murdered," her eyes filled with tears, "Was my own sister..."

     It's sad to think of it that way, but I guess it's the truth that hurts the most than lies...

     "Did Mukuro happen to enter into your memory?" A sudden question popped into my head when I asked her. 

     (Author's note: Not Vera anymore, I'm changing her name now to Chloe!)

     Chloe faltered for a second. "She did."

      "And what did she tell you?"

      "She..." Chloe began, "She told me that I was a murderer who was jealous of my own sister, and that I..." She covered her face with her hands as she cried in tears, "T-that I don't deserve to live even though it was a misunderstanding..."

      I tilted my head at that news. "Misunderstanding about what?"

     "That I thought my sister had plagiarized my work, so I killed her..."

     "And?"

     "And Mukuro told me that if I went to the outside world after the tragedy might be over, the police will find and arrest me," Chloe shivered as she thought about it. 

     . . . 

     "So which decisions are you willing to make?" I asked quietly. 

     "Um... I was thinking of submitting myself to despair," the perfumer's shoulder dropped a little. "I'm sorry, Lucky Guy. I can't take this anymore!"

     . . . 

     Taking a breath, I came up with an immediate lie... 

     "Did you know..." I started off by saying, "That if you go to the Door of your Desires, you'll be able to find what you're looking for."

     "Huh? What do you mean?" Her eyes widened in confusion.

     Thinking things ahead, I tried a different approach. "I mean, it's not just me, right?" I began a little nervously, "But if we work together once again, I'm sure your worries about what you had committed a sin won't affect you. It'll make things easier, I promise you!"

     "I don't really get it... H-how will that even help me, anyways?"

     . . . 

     "Your worries will be forgotten."

     "Wait, what? Really?" Vera almost lifted up her smile. "It will?"

     "Of course," I smiled, and I could feel the guilt starting to burn down into my stomach... 

     "Huh, since I guess you have risk so much for us," Vera happily said, "Then I guess I should return back the favor, so I'll vote on your side!"

     Perfect. 

     Now that I got Vera to change her mind, it's time to visit the others...

______________________________

     Okay, it'll take forever if I continue this through, but long-story-short: Lucky Guy manages to lie so he could get the others to vote on his side. Meaning he wanted everyone to vote for "The Door of your Desires." If you haven't figured out the "Lie" part yet... This advantage would likely go to Lucky Guy, not the others if you had heard Mukuro correctly. Although, for the others if they go along with Lucky Guy to that door, all they are going to do is face those desires that they had (same as repaying the consequences)- except Lucky Guy who's mainly after his own existence here, won't suffer the same as them. 

     Overall, putting the others in a tight-spot here... But do you guys think it's worth it or not? I don't know, it's up to your opinions!

     P.S: If you don't understand what I meant, you can ask me. Besides, you're not the only one who's lost here. So am I!

     -Taina Zakura-