P10. What a Troll

Dioleh was working in the common room when the cursed quartet appeared. Instantly, Draco separated from the group to sit in the chair opposite her. Eventually, Dioleh snapped, "What, Malfoy?"

"I was just having a laugh, love," he said. Dioleh looked up, her eyes narrowed. She could see he was trying to keep an arrogant front, but he seemed to be trying to gain her forgiveness. Why? She had no idea.

"You and I have a very different idea of what constitutes as fun," Dioleh replied icily. "How can bullying someone be fun to you. How do you even have the energy to be so cruel. You get nothing out of it."

"A good laugh is what I get out of it," he said with an arrogant smirk. Letting out a harsh breath, Dioleh shot him a cold glare, slamming shut her book. Without a word, she got up, heading for the dorm. Following after her, Draco said, "Oh, come now, love. Don't get all pouty on me." Scoffing, Dioleh shot one glare back at him, before going into her dormitory.

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Several weeks later, the smell of pumpkin and several roasts filled the entire castle from where the kitchen was preparing the Halloween Feast. Dioleh was quite looking forward to it, but a few classes before the feast, she was walking along only to hear Ron say, "It's no wonder no one can stand her. She's a nightmare, honestly."

Dioleh's heart clenched as she saw Hermione push through Ron and Harry, tears streaming down her face. Turning to Imani and Aki, Dioleh said, "I'll catch up. See you later, yeah?" They nodded and she left, following Hermione into the girl's bathroom. Once the door closed behind her, she heard Hermione try to muffle her tears, but it didn't work. It rarely does.

Cautiously, Dioleh called, "Hermione?"

"Leave me alone," she said quietly. Dioleh followed her voice to the farthest stall and opened the stall door.

"Are you sure you want to be left alone?" Dioleh asked, crouching down next to her. "Because if you do, I'll leave, but if you want someone to talk to. I can stay." Hermione looked at her for a second, tears still in her eyes, before she began to sob again. Dioleh wrapped her arms around her and let her cry into her shoulder. She let her cry herself out as they sat in silence, other than Hermione's sobs.

"They're all so mean," she said, still crying. "They're so mean to me."

"I know," Dioleh said. "I'm sorry. If it helps, I think you're cool. I could never remember everything as well as you." She let out a watery chuckle, managing to smile slightly. "Seems the best of friends are made while crying on the bathroom floor," Dioleh said. That got a real laugh from Hermione. Dioleh smiled, glad she got at least that from her. "Listen, if you ever need someone to talk to or hang out with, I'm always here, okay?"

"Okay," she said, squeezing Dioleh in a friendly hug. Before they could talk more, the doorway to the room was suddenly opened and filled with a gigantic figure. Jumping to her feet, Dioleh screamed. It was a troll. The troll moved closer to them, knocking out sinks and bathroom stalls as it went. Hermione looked like she was about to faint.

In complete desperation, Dioleh raised her hands, summoning all the water from the pipes to blast it at the troll. It stumbled back but the water only made it angrier. Letting out a terrible cry, it swept its club at her, flinging her into the wall. Hazily, Dioleh watched as Harry and Ron rushed into the bathroom and knocked out the troll. Letting out a cough, she got on her hands and knees as the door banged open.

"What on earth were you thinking of?!" McGonagall shouted, glaring at Harry and Ron. She hadn't seemed to have noticed Hermione or Dioleh. "You're lucky you weren't killed! Why weren't you in your dormitory?!"

"Please, Professor McGonagall," Hermione said in a small voice. "They were looking for me."

"Ms. Granger," she said in surprise as Hermione went over to Dioleh.

"Are you all right?" Hermione asked, crouching beside her.

"I think so," Dioleh replied, coughing again.

Looking up from where he was crouched by the troll, Snape remarked, "And why were you not in your dormitory, Ms. Marlow?"

"She knew I was in here and went to find me," Hermione said. Well, wasn't really a lie. "I-I went looking for the troll because I-I thought I could deal with it on my own - you know because I've read all about them. If they hadn't found me, I'd be dead now. Dioleh tried to protect me and Harry stuck his wand up its nose and Ron knocked it out with its own club. They didn't have time to come and fetch anyone. It was about to finish me off when they arrived."

"Well...in that case," McGonagall said, completely caught off guard. "Ms. Granger, you foolish girl, how could you think of tackling a mountain troll on your own? Five points will be taken from Gryffindor for this. I'm very disappointed in you. If you're not hurt at all, you'd better get back to Gryffindor Tower. Students are finishing the feast in their houses."

Once Hermione was gone, McGonagall turned to Ron and Harry. "Well, I still say you were lucky, but not many first years could have taken on a full-grown mountain troll. The two of you earn each win Gryffindor five points. Professor Dumbledore will be informed of this. The two of you may go." Once they had gone, McGonagall said, "I will leave it to you, Professor Snape, to determine what rewards or punishments Ms. Marlow will be given."

"Are you hurt?" Snape asked emotionlessly.

"I don't know," Dioleh replied, wincing as she reached down for her wand and got to her feet.

"I would say that's a yes," McGonagall said. Snape gestured for Dioleh to follow behind him as he left the room.

"What you did was foolish," Snape said. "However, you seemed to have kept a cool head. Ten points to Slytherin."

"Thank you, Professor," Dioleh said. "I'll try to be smarter in future."

"Good," he replied, opening the hospital wing door and gesturing her inside. As it turned out, Dioleh had a broken rib, but after a week, it was completely healed.