130. Curses and Lies

As Blaise and Dioleh walked out of the Three Broomsticks, they noticed that to their right, there were two voices arguing with each other. Turning to look, Dioleh saw two Gryffindors, Katie Bell and another girl she thought might be named Leannie. Before Dioleh had time to hear anything they were saying, Katie suddenly rose at least six feet into the air before letting out a terrible scream. Leannie jumped up, grabbing Katie by the ankles to try and pull her back down as Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who had followed Dioleh and Blaise out of the pub, tried to help. Dioleh and Blaise rushed over just as Katie fell on top of them.

As she began thrashing and screaming again, Harry shouted, "Stay here! I'll go get help!" Dioleh crouched down beside Katie, taking her into her arms and trying to talk her down as Leannie began sobbing behind her. Blaise, however, crouched down by the package Katie had been holding.

"Blaise, don't touch it," Dioleh snapped.

He looked up at her and said, "I won't. I'm just looking at it."

"Get back!" the loud and deep voice of Hagrid called, rushing towards them with Harry trailing behind. "Lemme see her!" They all moved back and Hagrid quickly picked her up and headed off toward the school. Dioleh quickly went to the necklace, detangling her scarf from her neck and picking up the necklace from the ruined packaging.

As they headed back to the school, Blaise remarked humourlessly, "Well, at least we can say today was an adventure."

"That's terrible, Blaise," Dioleh scolded.

"Yeah, I know," he sighed as they started to climb the stone steps to the school. Before they had covered half of them, Professor McGonagall emerged from the school and came rushing toward them.

"Hagrid says you six saw what happened to Katie Bell," she said. "Upstairs to my office, please. What's that you're holding, Granger?"

"The necklace Katie touched," Dioleh explained.

"Good lord," McGonagall cried, carefully taking it from her and handing it off to Filch with instructions to deliver it to Snape.

As they were being led up to McGonagall's office, Andre and Imani emerged from the library giving their friends concerned looks. 'Later,' Dioleh mouthed to them.

Upon reaching her office, McGonagall rounded on them, demanding sharply, "Well? What happened?" With many sobs, Leannie explained that Katie had gone to the restroom at the Three Broomsticks and when she returned she had the unmarked package and was told to deliver it to someone. While they were arguing over whether or not she should deliver it, Leannie had tried to grab the package and Katie, attempting to grab it back, had touched it. "All right," McGonagall said kindly as Leannie had completely fallen into her miserable sobs. "Go up to the Hospital Wing, please, Leannie, and get Madam Pomfrey to give you something for shock."

Once she had gone, McGonagall turned to the remaining five of them and asked, "What happened when Katie touched the necklace?"

"She rose up in the air," Harry explained. "And then began to scream, and collapsed. Professor, can I see Professor Dumbledore, please?"

"The headmaster is away until Monday," McGonagall replied curtly.

"Away?" Harry repeated.

"Yes, Potter, away!" McGonagall retorted. "But anything you have to say about this horrible business can be said to me, I'm sure!"

After a moment's hesitation, Harry said, "I think Draco Malfoy gave Katie that necklace, Professor." Dioleh's eyes widened and even Blaise looked at Harry in shock.

"That is a very serious accusation, Potter," McGonagall said in shock.

"Indeed," Blaise said, his brows furrowed. "Harry, just because he's acting more of an arse than usual doesn't mean-"

"Do you have any proof?" McGonagall asked, cutting off Blaise with a reproachful glare.

"No," Harry admitted, "but before the term began, Hermione, Ron, and I followed him to Borgin and Burkes and he was trying to get something fixed but he also had the storeowner hold something for him. And I think it was that necklace." Dioleh was staring at them, her eyes wide and her mouth slightly parted as Blaise took in every word Harry said. "Malfoy probably had it sent off since-"

"That's enough," McGonagall said finally. "Potter, I appreciate you telling me this, but we cannot point the finger of blame at Mr. Malfoy purely because he visited the shop where this necklace might have been purchased. The same is probably true of hundreds of people and in any case, we have put stringent security measures in place this year. I do not believe that necklace can possibly have entered this school without our knowledge."

"But-" Harry began.

"And what is more, Mr. Malfoy was not in Hogsmaede today."

"How do you know, Professor?" Harry asked.

"Because he was doing detention with me. He has now failed to complete his Transfiguration work twice in a row. So, thank you for telling me your suspicions, Potter, but I need to go up to the Hospital Wing now to check on Katie Bell. Good day to you all." She opened her office door and one-by-one, they each filed out of the room.

The moment McGonagall was out of earshot, Dioleh rounded on the other three, her eyes blazing. In a low, dangerous voice, she snapped, "Do any of you care to explain to me why you never told me what you discovered about Malfoy?" They shared awkward looks.

"We just...we assumed you were going to break up with him anyway and we didn't want to cause you anymore pain," Hermione explained. "But, I mean it worked, didn't it? You broke up with him."

"No, I didn't!" Dioleh snapped. "He dumped me!" They all shared surprised looks as Blaise hung back, leaning against the wall to wait until Dioleh finished shouting at them. "And if he had apologized and said that he was playing an act for his mother, we would still be together right now. You all lied to me!"

"I'm sorry, Dioleh," Hermione said.

"Sure you are," Dioleh snapped back. "Come on, Blaise. Let's go." With one final glare, Dioleh disappeared down the corridor.