122. Trouble in Diagon Alley

"Dioleh!" Hermione called. Setting aside her new book from Blaise, Dioleh rushed down the stairs to find Hogwarts letters sitting on the table.

As Dioleh began opening hers, Mrs. Weasley remarked, "Well, I don't suppose we can put off a trip to Diagon Alley much longer now you've got these. We'll go on Saturday as long as your father doesn't have to go into work again. I'm not going there without him."

"Mum, do you honestly think You-Know-Who's going to be hiding behind a bookshelf in Flourish and Blotts?" Ron countered.

"Fortescue and Ollivander went on holiday, did they?!" Molly snapped. "If you think security's a laughing matter you can stay behind and I'll get your things myself."

"No, I wanna come, I want to see Fred and George's shop," Ron said at once.

"Then you just buck up your ideas, young man, before I decide you're too immature to come with us," Mrs. Weasley snapped angrily. "And that goes for Hogwarts as well!"

Once she had gone, Ron said, "Blimey. You can't even make a joke around here anymore."

"Well, it was a bit insensitive, Ron," Dioleh said, not looking up her list.

His mind flickering back to what Dioleh had said a few weeks ago about Voldemort wanting to kidnap or kill her, he said, "Right. Sorry."

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Breakfast Saturday morning was a rather tense affair. As everyone worked through their meals, Bill passed a full bag of gold to Harry and Dioleh. "Where's mine?" Ron exclaimed.

"That's already theirs, idiot," Bill snapped back. "I got money out of your vaults for you both because it's taking about five hours for the public to get to their gold at the moment."

"Thanks, Bill," Dioleh replied, pocketing her gold. After her father's death and the adoption, the Grangers, at Dioleh's request, transferred all of her father's money into Gringotts in the wizarding currency for her. Whatever of her money she used to pay for her and Hermione's things they paid her back for. Once they arrived in Diagon Alley and joined Hagrid who was to be extra security for Harry and Dioleh, although the Ministry was unaware of the second half of his assignment, they went through the pub and quickly split up to get all of the shopping done quickly.

"Hand me your lists and I'll get the books while you four get your robes," Mrs. Weasley said. The four went inside with Hagrid staying outside and instantly, Dioleh heard an all-too-familiar voice. She stopped in her tracks, her heart pounding.

"I'm not a child in case you haven't noticed, Mother. I am perfectly capable of doing my shopping alone."

"Now, dear," Madam Malkin replied calmly. "Your mother's quite right. None of us are supposed to go wandering around on our own anymore. It's nothing to do with being a child."

"Watch where you're sticking that pin, will you!" Draco snapped before appearing from behind the rack to look at the dark green robes in the mirror. His eyes instantly snapped to Dioleh and for the briefest moment there was a softening to his expression before he quickly hardened it, snapping, "If you're wondering what that smell is, Mother, a mudblood just walked in." Dioleh's eyes widened in shock. She felt as though she had just been stabbed in the gut. The Draco she saw before her was not the boy she had fallen in love with.

"I don't think there's any need for language like that!" Madam Malkin snapped, appearing as well from behind the rack. Turning her gaze to Harry and Ron, she added, "And I don't want wands drawn in my shop either!"

"Yeah, like you'd dare do magic outside of school," Draco snapped arrogantly.

"That's quite enough!" Madam Malkin snapped again. Turning back to someone they couldn't see behind the rack, she pleaded, "Madam, please-"

"Put those away," Narcissa ordered coldly, coming out from behind the rack to face them. "If you attack my son again, I shall ensure it is the last thing you ever do."

"Really?" Harry snapped arrogantly, taking a step forward.

"Harry, stop," Dioleh pleaded, finally finding her voice. Draco looked at her but she was avoiding his gaze.

Ignoring her, Harry asked, "Going to get a few Death Eater pals to do us in, are you?"

"Really?!" Madam Malkin squealed. "You shouldn't accuse - dangerous thing to say - wands away please!"

With a wry smile, Narcissa remarked, "I see that being Dumbledore's favourite has given you a false sense of security, Harry Potter. But Dumbledore won't always be there to protect you."

Looking mocking around the shop, Harry replied, "Wow...look at that...he's not here now! So why not have a go? They might be able to find you a double cell in Azkaban with your loser of a husband." Dioleh sighed, closing her eyes and rubbing her forehead tiredly.

"Don't you dare talk to my mother like that, Potter!" Draco snapped.

"It's all right, Draco. I expect Potter will be reunited with dear Sirius before I am reunited with Lucius," Narcissa said icily.

"Oh my god, just stop! All of you!" Dioleh cried desperately, not looking at any of them as she pressed the cool part of her hands into her temples.

"I quite agree," Madam Malkin said scathingly.

"Mother, I don't think I want these robes anymore," Draco snapped coldly. Taking them off, he threw them on the floor and stormed toward the door. Dioleh's heart hammered in her chest as Draco passed by her. He stopped a moment as though he was debating on speaking. Dioleh could feel his breath on her cheek. Finally he said, "See you at school, love."

"Get away from her," Harry snapped, pulling Dioleh behind him and away from Draco. A strange expression flashed over Draco's face before he disappeared after his mother out the door. The moment the door shut behind them, Dioleh drew in a sharp breath and although Harry, Ron, and Hermione could see that her eyes had begun to water, she quickly turned away and began flipping through the robes even though they all knew she was just getting new school robes. They each decided to leave her to calm down before they tried to talk to her about what happened.

When they finally emerged from the shop a half-hour later, Hagrid asked, "Got everything?"

"Just about," Harry replied. "Did you see the Malfoys?"

"Yeah," Hagrid replied without concern. "But they wouldn't dare make trouble in the middle of Diagon Alley, Harry. Don't worry about them." Before any more discussion could happen, Ginny and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley appeared with bundles of books.

Handing them their stacks of books, Mrs. Weasley said, "Everyone all right? Got your robes? Right then, we can pop in at the Apothecary and Eeylops on the way to Fred and George's. Stick close now."