73. Disconsolate

"Imani!" Dioleh called, rushing after her. The moment class had gotten out, Imani had dashed away with a sob. Dioleh pushed past several students who merely threw her annoyed glares as she rushed after her best friend all the way from the DADA classroom to the dungeons. Instead of going into the common rooms as Dioleh expected, Imani dashed into the same small hallway she had spent most of the night with the other two sirens the night of the Yule Ball. "Imani?" Dioleh said again as the said girl stopped, leaning against the wall, her lips pressed firmly together as hot tears bled down her cheeks. 

Imani collapsed, only just being caught by Dioleh as she was consumed by her sobs. As she gasped harshly for breath, Dioleh wrapped her arms around her, running a hand through her hair to soothe her. Imani clutched to her tightly, hiding her head in Dioleh's shoulder. Around the corner, Draco appeared, looking uncertain. Dioleh spotted him and quickly mouthed 'Andre.' Draco nodded and turned back around to head toward the Ravenclaw Common Room. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

Draco dashed through the halls until he reached one of the upper towers where he was pretty sure Ravenclaw Common Room was. Just as he reached it, the door opened and Andre himself appeared after having dropped off his bag before dinner. Frowning, he approached Draco and asked, "What's wrong?" 

"I'm not sure, but Imani kind of broke down," Draco explained. "Dioleh told me to go find you." 

"Where?" Andre asked, his face paling. 

"By Slytherin Common Room," Draco explained. Andre nodded, rushing past him. Draco didn't follow. He knew he couldn't help any more than Dioleh and Andre could. Instead, he went down to dinner to find Blaise sitting moodily. 

"Where were you?" Blaise asked gruffly. 

"Something came up," Draco said offhandedly. Attempting to change the subject, he muttered, "Umbridge is a piece of work." 

"You don't say," Blaise said sarcastically. With a sigh, he glanced over to the Gryffindor table where Harry was sitting with Ron and Hermione. "Never thought I'd say it, but I feel bad for Potter. The only people who could back up his story won't." 

"Nope," Draco said with a sigh. 

"What was up with Kanumba?" Blaise asked, brows furrowed. 

"No idea," Draco said honestly. "I'm sure she'll be fine though." 

"Rodreguez and Marlow aren't here so she's probably with them," Zabini observed. 

"Granger," Draco muttered. Blaise shot him an annoyed look. 

⥖✦✧⦽✧✦⥗

By the time Andre had gotten down to the dungeons, Imani had calmed down slightly. Her eyes were very red and her head was pounding from lack of oxygen, but she was taking in deep, steady breaths in Dioleh's arms, tears still falling down her wet cheeks. Crouching down in front of them, Andre asked, "Mani, what's wrong? What happened?" She began to cry more as she pulled a letter from her pocket. It was crumbled and tear-stained, but still readable. Andre took it from her shaking hands and unfolded it. 

My dear Imani, 
I'm doing all I can to fight it, but my department is working on the development of a potion that if poured into the sea will kill off every siren living there and since they know sirens have been at Hogwarts before, I fear they will poison the lake as well. Please be careful, baby. I lost your mama, I can't lose you too. 
                              Love, 
                                     Papi

Before he had a chance to stop it, a tear fell down Andre's cheek. He got up, drawing in a sharp breath as he attempted to ease the pain in his chest. He didn't make it far as a shuddering sob left his lips. Covering his mouth, he attempted to hold it back as Dioleh quickly scanned through it. Instantly, her mind flashed to Julio's brothers living somewhere out there. Her cousins. Her family. 

"We have to tell Dumbledore," Dioleh said, unaware of the hot tears spilling over. 

"What's the point?" Andre cried. His voice cracked as every bit of the anguish he felt leaked through. "Why even bother when-" He broke off as he involuntarily drew in a harsh gasp. He tried to speak again, but his chest was so constricted he couldn't breathe. 

"Andre," Imani whispered. She got to her feet. Gently, she forced him to sit on the floor as he sobbed and began to hyperventilate. In frustration, he ran his hands through his hair, clenching them into fists. 

"What did we ever do to them?" Andre cried in anguish. "What about our existence bothers them so much they would want to kill us? Do they not care that- that-" He began to panic and no more breath would support his words. Even his breathing had betrayed him. 

As Dioleh watched her own anger and grief reflected in her friends, she drew in a harsh breath, pushing down the tears. She needed to be strong for them. They couldn't all fall apart, no matter how much she might want to. Wiping away her tears, she said, "I need to make sure Dumbledore knows. I-" She broke off. She was too overwhelmed to speak. 

Andre and Imani were too consumed in their own grief to notice as Dioleh left with the letter in hand. The farther she got from the common room, the more emotions rushed through her. She broke into a run, eventually sprinting through the castle. In her hurricane of emotions, she didn't notice as she barreled into someone. 

"I'm sorry," Dioleh said quickly, instantly recognizing the billowing black robes of the potions master and her Head of House. 

With the smallest of frowns etched into his marble features, he inquired, "Is everything all right, Ms Granger?" She opened her mouth to say yes but stopped herself. She knew the tears she could barely hold back were giving her away. Swallowing harshly, she shook her head. 

"I need to see Professor Dumbledore," she said weakly. Nodding, Snape moved past her in the direction of Dumbledore's office. She followed behind until they reached the Gargoyle. 

"Chocolate Frog," Snape said. The entranceway sprang to life and soon the spiral staircase was before them. Snape went with her up the stairs and finally to the office. The moment they reached it, however, Snape put a single finger to his lips, signalling for her silence. Two voices were arguing inside.